Odd plated or painted 1961 New Zealand Penny

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by The Eidolon, Feb 27, 2021.

?

What is going on here

1. I don't know...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Who cares?

100.0%
  1. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

I don't know what to make of this. It's an ordinary 1961 New Zealand Penny, but instead of bronze colored, it's a kind of silvery color. I'm assuming a bored person plated it or sprayed it with some kind of metallic paint. I don't expect it has any numismatic value, but I'm curious as to what is going on and why. Any guesses?

The edge has a weird almost reeded texture. It thought about maybe a vice mark from being held, but they go all the way around pretty evenly.

ob.jpg rev.jpg edge.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

It's certainly been plated; I've run across several of these myself. However, with the faux-reeding, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody tried to pass it off as a higher denomination coin at some point.

The Eidolon likes this.
  4. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Interesting, thanks! It says "One Penny" so prominently I would imagine one would need a pretty inattentive target to pass it off. Weight was 9.3 grams, which is a little lighter than I would have expected. At 31 mm it's a little bigger than a NZ florin and smaller than a half crown, but much too light for either of them. I don't imagine that it would fool any vending machines. (Did New Zealand even have those commonly in the 1960s?)

5. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

I have no clue about vending machines, but the example I have is holed and it doesn't have faux-reeding like yours. Regardless, the reason why it is plated is probably that someone was bored as you said.

The Eidolon likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted