Odd Little Late Roman?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kevin McGonigal, May 23, 2019.

1. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Another cheap flea market find brought me this AE 4 (about 15mm) which looks like a pretty common coin, except its execution looks more barbarous than most of what I have seen. I am having trouble with the attribution mainly because I cannot make out the letters. Any help appreciated so my one dollar purchase will have been worth while. IMG_0892[3333]4th cent barb obv.jpg IMG_0890[3331]4th cent. barb rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Plumbata

Plumbata Well-Known Member

Hah, it appears as though the legend reads "HHHHHHHHHHH" on the obverse and "IIIIIIIIIIIIII" on the reverse, coupled with the amusing scarecrows on the reverse I'd say it's an appealing nonofficial barbarous issue. Definitely worth buying for a dollar in my opinion.

4. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I like it! Man... I really need to start accumulating some of these fun barbarous/unofficial coins :).

My favorite of all time, or at least of all CoinTalk time, is the infamous denarius of Isiusiisiuisii owned by @arnoldoe. That thread never fails to make me laugh. Arnold, if you ever sell that coin, please give me first crack at it :D.

kevin McGonigal and rrdenarius like this.
  6. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Interesting coin. A dollar makes it a great buy, unless you go crazy trying to attribute it.

kevin McGonigal likes this.
  7. kevin McGonigal

8. kevin McGonigal

It was in a junk box of 19th early 20th century foreign. I always go through these boxes when I can. I already got my dollar's worth of learning from this coin, especially from the two scare crows, each wearing a broad brimmed patesis.

9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

These barbarous/unofficial issues are very interesting - more interesting in this case than the "official" coinage. It's definitely a keeper. I guess there were coin shortages in some places either in the empire or outside of its borders.

Draft saved Draft deleted