Odd Color Kennedy Half and Eisenhower Dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Sam Stone, May 9, 2022.

1. Sam Stone

Sam Stone Old, fat, bald, gray, ugly, lazy, and married

I spent about a month this afternoon trying to get a good enough picture of this Kennedy half dollar and the Eisenhower dollar that showed their actual color. Then I spent another month trying to find something online that could explain them. I don't see anything else unusual about them so I'm simply curious. The Kennedy half is what I would call "shiny pewter" for lack of a better phrase and the dollar has a brown tone. I've never seen either of these colors in the 400 million coins my son and I have looked at this week and we didn't clean them so the color is as close as we could get. My wife brings these things home from her job. We also have some Eisenhower dollars that are a "dull pewter" color, but we couldn't get a good photo. I'll keep trying.

Thanks for any education you can offer.
    1652148673537.png 1652148813833.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hello there!! The only thing I can think of is your old friend "Toning" which is the answer that you seek. ;)

Paddy54 and Sam Stone like this.
  4. Sam Stone

I expected and accept that, but is there any particular circumstances that cause such unique colors? We're going to add them to my son's collection and since I've been such a slow learner, I very much appreciate any input.

Thanks very much.

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

To @Sam Stone . I wish I had answers but I don't. I just excepted the idea of toning and accepted them into my collection. This is one of one of my favorites. Kind of grey toning, no? Shall I say, Black/ grey toning?
    1964KFDHoriz.jpg

Sam Stone and Tamaracian like this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Shiny pewter...nice term. I can think of two things that might cause such toning, slow oxidation such as if you left it in a sunny warm place for a long time or some chemical damage that wasn't too severe.

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Environment, is the primary reason,along with medal composition are major factors why some coins tone others don't.....

Sam Stone and Kentucky like this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Look at the edge of the JFK half. It may have been plated for one reason or another.

Sam Stone likes this.
  9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Since you posted in the What's it Worth forum.. So far you have $1.50

Try showing us a picture of both sides of each coin.

Sam Stone likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Only seeing the one side it’s difficult to say. The entire coin was in the same place at the same time.

Sam Stone likes this.
  11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Ho-Hum when will they ever learn two is better than one!

Sam Stone likes this.
  12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Depends on the years, but maybe you are seeing two different compositions?

Kennedy Half
    Composition: Outer Layers of 75% copper, 25% nickel with a center layer of 100% copper

Eisenhower dollar
    1965-1970: 40% Silver; Outer layer: 80% silver 20% copper, core of 21.5% silver, 78.5% copper
    1971-Date: Clad; Outside: 75% Copper, 25% Nickel; Core: 100% Copper

Sam Stone likes this.
  13. Sam Stone

I didn't intend to post in What It's Worth. My mistake. We were/are simply curious about the unique tone. Thanks for pointing out my error.

paddyman98 and Kentucky like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted