Odd coin found in coin roll hunt of Kennedy Halves

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Justawesome, Jun 21, 2019.

?

Is this a genuine toning that makes the coin appear cameo or is this not natural toning?

1. Genuine

100.0%
  2. Not Genuine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not Genuine and I know what caused it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Justawesome

Justawesome Active Member

This might not be researching to in depth on but I just came across this coin today while hunting some Halves (first time I was able to get a significant amount)..

I'm curious if this is natural toning or someone's attempt to artificially tone a 76 bicentennial. It kind of looks like it sat on a window sill for a while. I say that because I have accidentally left some coins exposed to direct sunlight for a few weeks and they took on this hazy coloration. The part I find odd is that this coin only toned in the fields around the main devices (Kennedy's Profile) making it almost appear cameo.

Now all these coins are coming out of a box of surprisingly nice but clearly circulated halves. This is the only coin that has this feature. I'm curious if anyone knows anything about it. I never get my hopes up so i'm expecting this to be some sort of (cool, i like the look) damage. It's a clad coin. 1976 D Kennedy.

None of the other coins look like that. I added a few for comparison. There is only one thing that makes me think could be natural. You can see on the picture of the reverse there appears to have been tape or some adhesive possibly holding it in someone's album?

Anyway, if you have any thoughts - this one just peaked my curiosity.
    In each picture the coin in question is the one on the left.

20190621_205906.jpg 20190621_205659.jpg 20190621_205823.jpg 20190621_204952.jpg

These bicentennials are so common i'll probably just add it to my 'error/interesting' archive just to share with my buddy.

Appreciate it!

I've never taken a poll before. I'm going to add that feature to the thread just to try it out. Should be interesting.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

I think its cool looking, lol I don't know if intentional. id keep it.

Justawesome likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks natural to me.

Justawesome likes this.
  5. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

I had some of those still in the cello from the mint and those turned a golden color while in the package. I agree it looks like natural toning.

Justawesome likes this.
  6. Justawesome

Justawesome Active Member

Thanks gents. It's odd that it's a biz strike and the toned fields make it look like a cameo. Never seen a combo like that before.

7. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Looks like natural toning. Nice find! I'd personally keep it.

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Genuine and naturally toned, in my opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted