Odd Cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by tonylynch, Jun 25, 2006.

1. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

Found this in a roll from the last box I picked up. It is slightly smaller (a hair under 19mm) than normal. The edge is concave. I don't have a scale (yet) that would give me an accurate weight. What caught my attention first, is that when it came out of the roll, it sounded odd...flat.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jackeen

jackeen Senior Member

Struck in a loose collar, maybe?

4. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

This an "encased cent". These are also known as "lucky token" cents. It was once confined in an outer ring (often aluminum) bearing some advertising message or other design. When the outer ring is struck, it pushes in the perimeter of the coin and warps the surface.

5. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

Thanks, Mike. I've seen them, my dad has one, but never outside of the aluminum ring before.

6. mikediamond

Any time. Loose lucky token cents are most commonly found in the 1950's. Must've been a popular thing to do back then.

7. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

Hi Mike
    I had some high rim wheat cents from the 1950's I ask Chuck at coppercoins and he said that some coins from the mint in the 50's had a high rim. So I can assume that this type of coin is different? If that is the case I will go back and look at the high rim coins I have. Maybe the ones I have are the token type and not high rim from the mint.

8. jackeen

jackeen Senior Member

Mike - excellent analysis.

9. mikediamond

I'm unfamiliar with "high rim" cents from the 1950's. I know some cents from 1990 and 1991 (and occasionally other years) appear to have unusually high rims without the benefit of finning. This may be due to excessively deep rim gutters. I'll be interested to see what you dig up.

10. bruce 1947

Mike
    I posted that question at coppercoins.com sorry I can not link you there I just am not very good with a computer. Maybe what I asked Chuck is not what you were talking about go there and see my post. It is listed under hi rim coins.I know you are one of the best at lincoln cents.

11. bruce 1947

Mike my post was about the 1970's coins sorry.

12. 2b1ask1

2b1ask1 Senior Member

Thought I'd put a photo in this string. Don't know how well it will show up.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted