Odd Carved Morgan Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by vdbpenny1995, Apr 20, 2016.

1. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Hello, thanks for all the help on my last post! Heres a new challenge. in the same lot of random coins I bought this was also in the bag as well. The carving very much seems to be period correct of the date on the Morgan dollar. On the obverse there is a B stamped and the same B as well as L being stamped on the top right part next t each other (Hard to see but its there). Any info such as if its a hobo style carving and why is has to holes (One hole shows the image as a star and the other hole shows the image as a devil symbol) would be greatly appreciated! IMG_3552.jpg IMG_3553.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

Possibly not as demonic of an explanation but if it were to be sewn to clothing or even something like a saddle as decoration it would need two holes. It also looks like someone defaced stamped letters in each quadrant between the star points . Interesting.

Cascade likes this.
  4. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Reminds me of a hobo carving and we be worn around the neck, that's why there's 2 holes in it ...

5. Rick Stachowski

The Pentagram As A Christian Symbol

Up until medieval times, the five points of the pentagram represented the five wounds of Christ on the Cross. It was a symbol of Christ the Saviour. This is in stark contrast to today where the pentagram is criticized by modern Fundamentalist Christians, as being a symbol of evil.

The church eventually chose the cross as a more significant symbol for Christianity, and the use of the pentagram as a Christian symbol gradually ceased.

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Looks like the holes are there to loop string or something else through it to tie it to something.

7. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

Just a thought. If this was originally an ID tag then that may explain why the stamped letters were defaced. The B on the obverse may have been a test in a hidden spot.

8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I like stonemans saddle concho theory. But my guess is it could've been part of a bracelet. I have a ww1 bracelet made of early "ID disks", as they were called, of 5 members of the same family. They're a bit smaller than a morgan but bigger than a half so I can see linking 5 carved morgans as a bracelet similar to this one which was linked together using Native American old pawn silver...

20150408_20150408_083422_opt.jpg 20150408_20150408_083548_opt.jpg 20150408_20150408_083458_opt.jpg 20150408_20150408_083535_opt.jpg

9. Rick Stachowski

The holes in the OP coin could be to screw down the coin, to do the carving too . That's why they drilled it from the reverse side ..

10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yeah, maybe I guess but I don't think so. Look at the top point of the star. The hole was punched after the carving. There's no real way we are going to definitively answer anything with this though. It will always be mere speculation at this point but I wouldn't mind owning it. It's neat

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  11. Rick Stachowski

I think the reverse on the point of the star, where the flange shows is extra silver from doing the carving, but it's just a guess ...

12. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the input guys. Hopefully someone will know but if not its still a real neat piece!

Draft saved Draft deleted