Odd Antoninus Pius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ken Dorney, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I havent been stumped by many this year, but as is often the case often when we look too closely we cannot see the obvious. So, I have the Antoninus Pius provincial with veiled Tyche on the reverse (i kind of fancy seeing the portrait of Faustina here). The inscription has be confused. I see IPLPG III, or IPAPG III. I have not been able to puzzle it out even using variations of the letters with Icards dictionary of Greek coin inscriptions. I also tried the usual online resources to no avail.

Anyway, here it is, any suggestions are welcome:

Pius.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Could you read anything on the obverse?

4. Ken Dorney

Just the latter portion of the usual inscription. I'm trying to puzzle out the mint city.

7Calbrey likes this.
  5. 7Calbrey

I have a similar Roman coin with Tyche on reverse, but the obverse shows Elagabalus not A. Pius. It was struck in Edessa. BMC 75. Hope this might help coincidentally.

6. 7Calbrey

I just found your coin on Wildwinds. It was struck in Gaza. BMC 72.

7. Ken Dorney

I dont think so. The coins of Gaza for Pius are quite distinctive and have a completely different inscription.

Thanks though.

Ken

7Calbrey likes this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm, that is a stumper!

I agree that the reverse looks like ...ΠΛΡΓ... but that seems to be gibberish or not any standard city abbreviation. Perhaps it is part of a magistrate's name?

Thinking the letters may not be what they seem, I also tried TI instead of Π and N instead of ΛΡ (pretending the loop of the P was not intentional) and a few other variations produced by squinting :D. No luck so far searching in all the places you're already looked.
    It does have the correct iconography but the OP coin does not have the same legend as found on those Gaza coins.

Tyche, and I'm assuming it is Tyche, really does look like Faustina Sr. Faustina's hairdo often had a crown-like arrangement of braids atop her head. Maybe the reverse really is Faustina Sr or a purposeful attempt to render Faustina as Tyche.

9. Ken Dorney

oooh. I think I may have it. But before I say anything, @TIF how do you get the Greek letters on this forum?

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

On my Mac I click on the language icon (US flag, top right of the screen) and select the Greek flag. Not sure how you do it on a PC but if you want, PM me and I'll type out your Greek letters :).

Alegandron likes this.
  11. Ken Dorney

I use a Mac. Dont have a US flag anywhere. Tried copying and pasting from another document but that doesn't work. Maybe you can send a screen shot?

Anyway, RPC online has a number of close matches, but I cannot be sure which this is as the inscription is only partial. Note however that one (un-illustrated example) is noted as "(head assimilated to portrait of Faustina I ?)". I guess I was not imagining it after all! Anyway, maybe I gave up too early!

http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/search/quick/?q=pius+tyche+veiled&search=

7Calbrey and TIF like this.
  12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Top right (I have to hover the cursor over the area to make the icons visible)

KeyboardSelect1.jpg

Clicking the US Flag pops up a menu. A few years ago I added the Greek keyboard by clicking "Open Keyboard Preferences"-- you'll see how to do it when you get to that screen.

KeyboardSelect.jpg

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

If you don't have a language flag on the top right menu, go to Launchpad > System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources. Click "Show input menu in menu bar". While you're there add whichever language keyboards you want, such as Greek.

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 6.49.21 PM.png

7Calbrey likes this.
  14. Ken Dorney

Yes, I didnt have that. So for others who dont know, I clicked on "System Preferences", then "Keyboard", then "Input Sources" then clicked the "+" on the bottom left and added Greek. It then added what Tiff mentions above. Pretty cool, and perhaps supremely simple, but if one have never done it or was aware, well, someone has to let us know!

Thanks!

And, to test, the inscription is "ΠΑΛPΓ". See, want that easy?

dadams and TIF like this.
  15. Ken Dorney

As for the coin in question, it is a good example of how partial inscriptions can obscure our perceptions. Without the initial inscription of "KAICAPΣΩΝ" it would be hard. Now, I would be interested in how they are attributed to Cappadocia and not Cilicia. I dont know. I need to submit this example to RPC (though unfortunately I have done so before, doesnt seem to be anyone behind that project that responds).

Ken
    (yea, I decided I am going to try and sign my posts despite that I reveal my actual name in my profile. It just seems honest somehow. Well, no, I am just old fashioned. Thats all).

TypeCoin971793 and Jwt708 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted