Odd 1974-D penny

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Juntaomentat, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Juntaomentat

Juntaomentat New Member

I found an unusual 1974-D penny in my cash register. It looks brand new, but it's color is off (golden yellow) and it's ferrous. There are no strange markings and, from every other aspect, appears to be a normal penny. What slight tarnishing appears is in the dead center of the penny on both sides and doesn't look like copper.

I looked up a few internet sites on the topic (apparently, 1974 is a weird year for pennies) but I wanted to find out if anyone knew anything about it. I have no way of weighing it as yet, but there isn't a remarkable difference in weight between this and a "normal" penny (as a control, I used another 1974 penny; can never be too sure lol). Thanks :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Danr

Danr Numismatist

Is that the year that they made some aluminum cents and gave them to the members of congress?

4. Juntaomentat

Juntaomentat New Member

From what I am to understand, yes. But the aluminum pennies came from Pennsylvania and aluminum, of course, is not ferrous. I did read that a few bronze-clad steel prototypes were made in the Denver mint, but nothing was ever released, even to Congress. I can't verify that, however, and I don't want to get my hopes up of finding something that extraordinary (unless you guys want to get my hopes up for me :) )

Blue121 likes this.
  5. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

For one thing Ferrus indicates Iron. This would be easily detected by holding your coin to a magnet. If it sticks, it is Ferrus or Iron but in reality probably Steel. If that is true, more than likely a fake. However, then too it would be heavier than a normal coin although you said no way to measure it. Yet there is a really simple method to do that.
    Place a popsicle stick on a pencil. The use of a standard six sided pencil is easier. Balance the stick on the pencil and use a drop of glue to hold it in place. You now have a balance beam scale. Place any PENNY of an earlier date of 1982 at the far end of the stick. Place your PENNY on the far end of the other side. If it balaces, both are the same Copper substance. If not, also allow for any wear of either coin.
    This method is great for determining a Copper 1982 versus a Zinc/Copper plated one.
    The chances of your coin being Aluminum too is rather unlikely. Copper coated Aluminum too would be even more unlikely.

6. rygill

rygill Junior Member

Can you post Pics?

7. Danr

Danr Numismatist

lets just say that 1974 had some interesting things going on with cents (some of which are yet to be discovered)

8. rygill

rygill Junior Member

I had heard of people baking coins to get a nice rainbow tone so i tried it and it did give a nice rainbow tone but if you leave it in to long it turns yellow. I was just doing it for the fun of it. This may have hapened to your coin. ?????

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You say it is ferrous and as Carl says that would indicate Iron bearing. Is it magnetic? The mint DID produce some bronze clad steel experimental pieces in 1974 (quite a few of them but most were destroyed.) These broze clad steel cents would show the steel on the edge of the coin because they were clad not plated. And Carl is wrong about one thing they would be lighter than a regular 1974 cent not heavier. Steel has a lower density than copper.

Unfortunately the most likely reason for the odd appearance of your coin by a WIDE margin is that it has been plated with something.

10. Juntaomentat

Juntaomentat New Member

It is magnetic along the edge only; it won't pick up from the center. Using the pencil-Popsicle stick scale suggested earlier, it is lighter than a normal copper penny. However, there is no obvious band of another metal along the edge; it is the same golden color all the way around, and the lip of the coin isn't any thicker than a normal penny.

Every picture I take is extremely fuzzy (gogo cheap camera), but I will try to get one taken and posted soon.

11. Rocky5719

Rocky5719 New Member

Hey, I have a 1974 D that sounds exactly the same, except that it seems to be a tiny bit heavier but I m using the 'posicle' scale and it is so close it could be hard to tell. The thing that struck me is that it seems to only attract the magnet at the edges, like you said and it does not have any clad edges either. There is a chance that the reason it only is attracted to the edges is just the weight of the penny versus the power of the magnet. The magnet may not be strong enough to pick up the whole penny so it kind of rolls to the edge.
    A very interesting penny.

12. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Making a gold penny is no hard trick. All you need is some Draino crystals and some zinc powder or filings.

Put the zinc powder in a pyrex glass.
    Add a water solution of the Draino on top of the zinc.
    Heat the solution on a stove (do not boil) for about 5 minutes.
    Put the penny in the solution and heat for a couple more minutes.
    Remove the penny with tongs and drop into cool water.
    Remove from the water and wipe it down with a soft cloth.
    At this point, the coin will appear silver.
    Holding the coin with tongs or pliers, heat the coin with a torch or over a gas stove burner.
    Don't overheat it. It will turn a golden color.
    Drop the penny into the cold water again to cool it down.

[​IMG]

This makes a gold cent. As far as yours being magnetic, I can't explain that.

13. Aac349

Aac349 New Member

Did anyone find out what these were?

14. tj carr

tj carr New Member

were working on it.....reference mint release 12 07 73 tested 7 different alloys for 1974 lincolns

15. Blue121

Blue121 Member

I have a 1970s penny with defects on from of lettering front and on back. Yea id say ....alot errors from the 1970s to 1974 pennines. Ive found alot with the 73 pennys also. It would be nice to find a penny thats Aluminun

16. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

6+ years later and you're still "working on it"? Gee whiz man, WTH?

17. Larry Graves

Larry Graves New Member

Hello people. I have a1974D also. The Y in LIBERTY is small and faint. I'll try to send a pic so you guys can check it out. Thanks

18. Larry Graves

Larry Graves New Member

Can someone help me? How do you put a pic up here

G.C.B likes this.
  19. Mike the plumber

Mike the plumber Active Member

20. Mike the plumber

Mike the plumber Active Member

21. Julie Coats

Julie Coats New Member

Hi there, I have been reading this with much interest. I have the exact same ferrous, golden, yellow penny (as described above) the only difference is the Mintmark it is "1970 S" so it's the exact same coin only 3-4 yrs older ???? Made in San Francisco..

Draft saved Draft deleted