Octavius' top 2019.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by octavius, Dec 9, 2019.

1. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

I'd like to post what I consider to be my favorites for 2019. This past year I have tried to "beef up" my Aes Grave collection. I realize that most people would not really regard these coins as beautiful, artistic , or even elegant. I wouldn't blame you; but for me they represent something else. Holding one of these heavy, massive coins relays a feeling of permanence, majesty , and power - almost a metaphor of Rome herself.
    These coins were made during a tenuous but vital period. Rome was plagued by nearly a century of war with Carthage, and the outcome was not at all certain. The first war was was basically a naval one. Carthage was a naval power, yet Rome was victorious.
    Then came a Carthaginian upstart who was arguably one of the three or four best generals of the ancient world - Hannibal. Rome suffered catastrophe after catastrophe yet she still persevered and won the war. This was the extraordinary background of the III century BC. The last breath of Dido's curse faded to no avail. It was as though Rome had some divine patroness watching over her . If you put credence in Virgil, it must have been Venus, as she pleaded to her father Jupiter to save her beloved Trojans from the Ire of his wife Juno.
    Anyway, I probably have romanticized the history of the third century way too much, but what the hell. I'm not a historian, just a Romanophile.

lot-5496119-XL.jpg
    Apollo/Apollo series. AE Cast As, 275-270 BC. D/ Diademed head of Apollo right. R/ Diademed head of Apollo left. Cr. 18/1; Vecchi ICC 33. AE. g. 288.90 mm. 68.00 A superb cast. Lovely emerald green patina.

m54662.jpg
    As, c. 225 - 217 BC, obv. bearded head of Janus, Rev. prow right, I above. , Vecchi 84.

98763q00.jpg

Anonymous, Cast Semis, Rome, ca. 225-217 BC
    AE (g 123; mm 51; h 12)
    Laureate head of Saturn l.; below, S, Rv. Prow r.; above, S. Crawford 35/2; ICC 76.

98742q00.jpg
    Anonymous, Cast Triens, Rome, ca. 270 BC
    AE (g 104; mm 46; h 12)
    Head of horse r., below, °°°°, Rv. Head of horse l.; below, °°°°. Crawford 18/3; ICC 35.
    Scarce.
    1016_z_773_ae_quadrant.jpg

Anonymous, Cast Quadrans, Rome, ca. 225-217 BC
    AE (g 68; mm 41; h 12)Head of Hercules l., wearing lion’s skin; behind, °°°, Rv. Prow r.; below, °°°. Crawford 35/4; ICC 80.

below, sextans; shell / caduceus. c. 280 BC.
    2510522l.jpg 14713_g5629.jpg
    Sextans , Tortoise/wheel , c. 230 BC.

another Horse Triens....

161.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. octavius

to round it out, another quadrans , sextans , and an
    irregular uncia.
    also to show that I am not totally indifferent to "pretty "coins, I have a nice one of Nero and Marcus Aurelius I got this year.
    4439988l.jpg 4780386l.jpg m53862.jpg 4947876l.jpg 4780865l.jpg aX7GJ6o78bgT93WmqSR2NP5iL4eB9x.jpg

4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Holy smokes! Saweet line up
    FB1F9820-82D2-4F0A-8AE4-8586397F2FDB.gif

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

That's all top shelf stuff man, killer line up! I've never had the chance to feel one of the early cast AS in hand, I get they feel glorious!

octavius, Alegandron and Justin Lee like this.
  6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wow, you made all those Aes Grave acquisitions in a single year?! Methinks you make that remarkable tour de force accomplishment look a little too easy! :D

Truly incredible stuff, @octavius. The Marcus Aurelius is absolutely fantastic too. I hope you have an equally fruitful 2020.

octavius likes this.
  7. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Great stuff @octavius! I know that the early Republic coins are the focus, but wow is that Marcus Aurelius incredible. All of these are beautiful, congrats on a great year.

octavius likes this.
  8. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Some great aes grave coins!

octavius likes this.
  9. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Stellar!

octavius likes this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Really enjoy those AES Graves, @octavius ! Very nice stuff!

I have several, here is one of my Dog, BLUE (avatar), when she was younger:

upload_2019-12-9_21-46-44.png
    RR Aes Grave AE Quadrans 269-242 BCE Dog 3 pellets Six spoked wheel 59.8g Craw 24-6a Th-Vecchi 34 ex Sellwood

dlhill132, TIF, Volodya and 4 others like this.
  11. octavius

Beautiful coin and gorgeous dog - a treasure.

Alegandron likes this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you. She is completely white in the face now. She can hardly walk, but she gives me all her love. Very special.

Great Graves, Richard. Super coins.

Here is my knucklebone... got it cuz it is on both sides...
    Kinda a "We're #1" tribute, also

RR Aes Grave Uncia 269-266 BCE 10.1g Astragalus knuckle-bone - knuckle-bone Thurlow- Vecchi 21.JPG
    RR Aes Grave Uncia 269-266 BCE 10.1g Astragalus knuckle-bone - knuckle-bone Thurlow- Vecchi 21

dlhill132, TIF, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  13. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Really incredible examples of the Aes Graves. I hope your 2020 is good to you!

octavius likes this.
  14. octavius

Believe me , I know how you feel.

Alegandron likes this.
  15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Some real eye candy @octavius. The Nero and Albinus are my favorites. The detail on the reverse of Albinus is fantastic.

octavius likes this.
  16. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Wow, that double Apollo is incredible. (And nearly 300 grams! :wideyed:) I think it's safe to say your "beefing up" project was a spectacular success. The Aurelius is none too shabby either.

Anyone who pays even the slightest bit of attention to your posts definitely doesn't need a demonstration of this! :rolleyes:

Here's the best I can do on aes grave:

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 10.39.02 PM.jpg

17. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Wow. All stunning, but the second Horse Triens is remarkably pretty with that patina.

octavius likes this.
  18. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Fantastic coins, my favorites are Nero and Marcus Aurelius.

octavius likes this.
  19. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

The most heavy top 10 ever I bet !! :D
    Each one of these coins would be in the top 3 of my entire collection, I'm envious

Q

20. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great coins and a superb collection. Congrats on a super year.
    I agree that holding one is hard to beat!
    DSCN3089.JPG

PS - I had to look up Dido's curse. Thanks for sharing a bit of history.

dlhill132, Alegandron, TIF and 3 others like this.
  21. Andrew McMenamin

Andrew McMenamin Nerva You Mind

All I can say is - WOW! The Nero and Marcus Aurelius are stunning! My budget only allows me to admire coins like that from a distance, but I still love all my coins and this great hobby. Thanks for sharing.

octavius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted