Octavian & the Curia Julia

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Romancollector, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

Thought I'd share one of my latest acquisitions now that I have had the opportunity to photograph it. This is a coin that I've wanted for some time because of its historical significance. It is not uncommon, but it is difficult to find in an excellent state of preservation.

The reverse of the coin depicts the Curia Julia (the Roman senate house). While the curia's construction began under Julius Caesar, it was ultimately completed by his adoptive-son and grand-nephew, Octavian (later Augustus). In his Res Gestae, Augustus proclaimed that he had "built the senate-house and the Chalcidicum which adjoins it and the temple of Apollo on the Palatine" (19). Dio mentions that its dedication was a part the festivities related to Augustus' triple triumph (51.22). The curia was an integral component of Augustan propaganda, as demonstration of the emperor's pietas towards his father and his benevolence towards the state. Denarii issued by Augustus that depicted the curia effectively propagated this message.

This coin was referred to in two of my classes (Julio-Claudian History & Roman Architecture) as evidence for the reconstruction of the curia. When I saw this one listed, I knew that I had to have it. Anyways...here it is!!!

Roman Imperatorial:
    Octavian (30-29 BC)

AR Denarius
    Octavian denarius curia julia.png
    Date: Autumn 30-Summer 29 BC
    Obv: Bare head right.
    Rev: IMP CAESAR on the architrave of the Roman Senate House (Curia Julia), porch supported by four short columns, statue of Victory on globe surmounting apex of roof, statues of standing figures at the extremities of the architrave.
    Diameter: 20.1mm
    Weight: 3.83 grams
    Mint: Italian mint (Rome?)
    RIC I 266
    Ex: Apollo Numismatics

As always, feel free to post anything you feel is relevant!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

4. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

Excellent coin!

The Curia Julia still stands to this day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alegandron, Volodya, eparch and 11 others like this.
  5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...that is like WOW man!...and great coin @Romancollector ....ol' AA will like that! :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Romancollector likes this.
  6. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Such beautiful coin!

Romancollector likes this.
  7. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Amazing coin, great quality. The reverse has great detail. I like that the windows you can see in the building on the reverse of your coin are also visible in the photos of @Herodotus.

Carl Wilmont and Romancollector like this.
  8. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

Here's a very short 3D reconstruction video of the Curia Julia:

9. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Absolutely fantastic coin Romancollector, in the quality of yours not cheap to acquire, by far one of my favorites unfortunately mine was struck on too soft a flan and thinned it out subsequently a bit broke off still love it with it's strong detail. Congratulations. 560_large_4c29983d26c06c4cbc8c12a42a771dc9.jpg

10. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

The interior is great. I swear I can never find good interior pics. The floor is incredible. Looks like imperial porphyry and serpentine

Romancollector and Herodotus like this.
  11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

125423715_3702589689759381_3644503817845842502_o.jpg

[​IMG]
    Divus Augustus, 27 BC - 14 AD.
    Roman Æ as, 9.30 g, 28.4 mm, 7 h.
    Rome, issued under Tiberius, AD 22-30.
    Obv: DIVVS·AVGVSTVS·PATER, head of Augustus, radiate, left.
    Rev: PROVIDENT S C, Altar-enclosure with double paneled door; surmounted by uncertain ornaments.
    Refs: RIC 81; BMCRE 146; Cohen (Augustus) 228; RCV 1789.

Scipio, Johndakerftw, Bing and 2 others like this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Draft saved Draft deleted