OBW rolls each year

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by heuvy31, Mar 15, 2013.

1. heuvy31

heuvy31 Active Member

I bought a box of nickels today and unfortunately they are all new ones (2013). I was wondering though, do any of you keep one of the rolls or do you release them all back? Thanks for the input.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DClayville

DClayville Member

Its only $2 if you can afford to keep one why not.Worst that can happen is you have $2 in nickels later on down the line.

4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I sometimes take them to trade with vault tellers that cannot sell boxes of older coins because they have to have so much on hand for commercial customers. Businesses prefer new coins whenever possible so vault tellers don't mind getting new coins in exchange for older rolls.

5. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

i wouldn't keep them. starting this year nickels are not made of nickel.
    pre 2013 keep.

6. pballer225

pballer225 Member

That isn't official yet. the last I heard Obama made a comment on how spending more than a penny to create a penny was wasteful. I haven't heard anything on them actually planning to change the composition. What are your sources?

7. riff

riff I ain't got time to bleed

cnn article said it cost 11 cents to make a nickel! if this is true, that is absolutely ridiculous.

8. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

it costs 5.5 cents roughly to make a nickel with its materials. then you have the dies, the workers the transportation the labor. Im suprised it doesnt take a quarter to make a nickel.

9. heuvy31

heuvy31 Active Member

Thank you for the input so far everyone.

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

This is news to, um, everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted