Obvious Counterfeit

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ToughCOINS, Jun 20, 2024.

1. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Here's another unmarked counterfeit . . . Reported to eBay. Howmuchyawannabet eBay ignores my report and lets it sell?

lardan, SensibleSal66 and charley like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charley

charley Well-Known Member

4. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Well, they're Canadian... but yeah that date font looks nothing like the legit coin.

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

WoW! I guess that's why they call it "FleaBay".

Cheech9712 likes this.
  6. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

That's awful. I no longer waste my time reporting these. Fleecebay won't do anything unless someone with an inside connection reports it.

7. ToughCOINS

Looks like seller took it down.

lardan, DONTNOMUCH and Spark1951 like this.
  8. ToughCOINS

Got home and found the following in my eBay Message Center:

Hello toughcoins,
    Thanks again for reporting the listing(s) you found.

What happened:
    We looked into your report and didn’t find the listing to be in violation of our policy. This determination was made by a customer service agent.

If you reported content that isn’t listed below, we’ll send a separate email once we’ve made a decision.

Your reference ID:
    2-181334613636

Here are the listings you reported that are included in this decision:
    Item: 116224884461 RARE US "1869-S SEATED DIME SILVER (.900)" COIN SAN FRANCISCO MINT LOW MINTAGE

Thank you for being part of the eBay community.
    Thanks,
    eBay

Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.
    This coin possesses the wrong reverse design for the date . . . A glaring, unmistakable giveaway . . . yet eBay concluded the coin was not a counterfeit.

eBay is a danger to the buying community.

9. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I have gotten that response the past few times I've reported. First there is an email thanking me and giving me an incident number. I think the "customer service agent" is a robot.

My opinion is that they are violating the US Hobby Protection Act: "It shall be a violation of the Act and the regulations promulgated thereunder for a person to provide substantial assistance or support to any manufacturer, importer, or seller of imitation numismatic items, or to any manufacturer or importer of imitation political items, if that person knows or should have known that the manufacturer, importer, or seller is engaged in any practice that violates the Act and the regulations promulgated thereunder." They are facilitating the sale of counterfeits and they know it.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  10. ToughCOINS

Yeah. Unfortunately, I now expect that response every time I report a fake.

I don't think they've forced a listing down once since they started with this automated handling of the reports . . . feels like a year ago now.

11. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

The listing is down.

Z

12. DONTNOMUCH

DONTNOMUCH New Member

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Sure, a "service" to bad actors who buy the coins and then resell them as real. :mad:

eBay's policy on this is crystal-clear. It prohibits the sale of replica coins, even if they're marked as "COPY". It's just not enforced in general.

Jack D. Young, ToughCOINS and KBBPLL like this.
  14. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

People that knowingly sell fake coins as genuine are to me at the bottom of a editrf barrel.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2024
    Jeffjay, Eric the Red and KBBPLL like this.
  15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, they should be, anyhow.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2024
    Kentucky and lardan like this.
  16. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

This. It's surprising how many people don't know that ebay policy prohibits even legally marked replica coins. And yet I've gotten the same "customer service" response when the seller states right in their listing that it's a replica. Ebay simply doesn't care as long as they're making money.
    Ended by the seller. If ebay deemed it a counterfeit, it would get the "orange hoodie" instead of showing the ended listing. Here's the seller images in case it goes away.
    1869_fake.jpg

17. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I didn't catch that until now. I think they used a post-1901 Barber dime reverse, which is funny.

ToughCOINS likes this.
  18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

What about the funky S mint

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I think they pulled it

20. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Did I miss the point it is the wrong obverse as well? Stars versus legend obverse?

Burton Strauss III and KBBPLL like this.
  21. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

How right you are. It's a Frankencoin!

Jack D. Young likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted