Obverse die match for two different coins (RIC#)....Is this possible????

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Romancollector, May 29, 2020.

1. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I just had a general question. Is it possible that obverse dies (roman imperial) were used for more than one type (same denomination but different RIC number)?

I'm a bit alarmed because the obverse of a coin I just won appears to be a die match to a completely different coin.

Thanks for the help.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. It does happen occasionally. Do you have any images?

4. Romancollector

@Edward Dandrow

Yes here are the images.

My coin (NAC) RIC III 192d

[​IMG]

(CBG) RIC III 199var

[​IMG]

(CNG) RIC III 199var

[​IMG]

5. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

Not at all unusual.

Barry Murphy

6. Romancollector

Thanks for clearing this up! I was kind of nervous because this is a big purchase and I haven't encountered this before.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  7. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Pour a stiff drink and enjoy that acquisition! It's amazing!

svessien and Romancollector like this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My set has six using the same obverse die. I was once told of an obverse used with at least a dozen reverses but I do not have that photo or the coins to prove it. My best guess is that some mints secured dies overnight separately so that no one person would have access to both for 'moonlighting'. In the morning, the dies might be reissued to striking teams randomly. However this is just an idea, not a fact. It might also show, for unknown reason, a desire to make coins with many different reverses rather than waiting for a die failure to end production. What no one knows about the operations of ancient mints would fill a massive book that can never be written. There is a big difference between having evidence and theories and having facts. Scholars who confuse the categories are dangerous.
    [​IMG]

9. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

10. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Well said, Dougsmit.

11. Jovian363

Jovian363 Well-Known Member

Let me offer the ultimate proof that it is possible. Constantine the Great obverse with two reverses from Ostia mint in one coin - Soli invicto comiti and SPQR optimo principi. ConstantineTwoReverses.jpg

Romancollector and Bing like this.
  12. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Aurelian, combining SOLI INVICTO and ORENS AVG

[​IMG]

Septimius Severus, combining FELICITAS TEMPOR and VICTOR AVG

[​IMG]

13. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Very common when it comes to Roman provincial coins:

Domna Marcianopolis Artemis.jpg Domna Marcianopolis Three Graces.jpg Domna Marcianopolis Three Nymphs.jpg

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

As I recall there are even dies for Roman Provincials that were used for coins of more than one city. This would occur when coins were contracted to be produced for a neighboring city. We reall do not know if there were ancient mints that were in the business (rather like the American Banknote Company of the 19th Century) producing money for a fee on contract with the issuing authority.

Romancollector likes this.
  15. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Is it also reasonable to believe that:
    1. Dies used for gold coins would have longer life, due to the softness of the metal, and
    2. If aureii dies would last longer, many obverse dies would «outlast» the relevance of the reverde and be used for different reverses?

Great coin @Romancollector!

16. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

It happens quite often in the Divi series

Here's an example

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Q

Draft saved Draft deleted