Obsolete note help - Real or Fake?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by bobbeth87, Aug 30, 2012.

1. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

A friend inherited a collection from his late mother and it not interested in anything except silver. So, he let me look at a couple of notes and asked me to make an offer....he knows nothing about them. The first one was a 1000 note from the Bank of the United States. After researching that note, a website stated that in the 1960s many of these were made as a promotion and that if your note has the serial number 8894, then it is fake. It did.

The other note is pictured below. I don't know anything about it. A couple of things bother me about it. The paper that it is printed on is brittle and translucent. The note's margins apear to have been handcut. And, there are no signatures on the note.

If there are any obsolete experts on here, please let me know if this is real, the approximate value if it is real, and/or a resource I could go to to see for myself.

THANKS.

The reverse is blank:

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

4. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Well the note did exsist, here's the screen shot from Haxby.

Now the real question is ,is your authentic?
    From the examples I have seen yours does appear to be . Is the paper rice paper (thin) of parchment like (thick & brittle) ?
    Also since this example was not signed we cannot compare the ink , usually on replicas the ink is black & appears to be part of the entire printing. Authentic notes will be signed in what appears to be a dull red or brown colored ink.

Most examples I have seen are of the unsigned type & if I had to give an answer right now based on what I see I would say yours is authentic.

Attached Files:

5. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

It is very thin and translucent like rice paper.

6. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Is that (thin like rice paper) normal?

7. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Yes for that type & time period. Ill stick with my assesment of being authentic if that is the case.

8. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted