obsolete census numbers

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by bonniview, Aug 12, 2015.

1. bonniview

bonniview Active Member

Does Track and Price have census numbers on obsolete notes like it does for other types? If not are they just referenced on a rarity scale?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

How did you get a binary repeater?

4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Huh, what ?

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine. — Abraham Lincoln

gsalexan and Kirkuleez like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

On your photo. The serial number on the bill is 00770077 Is that correct? If so, only the number 7 and )0 are used. That makes it a binary note (2 numbers for all 8 spaces). 0077 repeats 0077 (the first 4 digits are in the same order as the last for digits). That makes it a 4 digit repeater note. Hence the name, binary repeater.

I hope you have the bill and took a photo and used that.

6. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I get it now.

I'm reading the OP's thread, and you're asking questions about the OP's avatar.

NOS likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Yes, if they have that bill and want to part with it, we may be able to reach an agreement. Sorry if I confused you but that's the first time I saw it. I'm very busy at work, no internet at home and well.....you know the rest. Excitement!

8. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

I don't use Track and Price, but I'd be surprised if they covered obsoletes. I can tell you that the Society of Paper Money Collectors is planning a massive online catalog of obsolete notes, which I think will include rarity estimates and possibly a census. That will be an ongoing project over the next decade, probably.

silentnviolent likes this.
  9. bonniview

bonniview Active Member

Thank you for that gsalexan. I see on SPMC's site the previous write ups about it. That will be a very nice catalog of notes once it gets established.

10. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Look closer. It's also a star.

11. Collecting Nut

Oh my! That just makes it better.

12. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Really got off track since you originally asked about census numbers for obsoletes.
    I'm not sure where to point you first either; you're about to embark on a long and serious road. Now, as for all the "off track" ; let's look at your avatar serial number as viewed by coolnumbers.com

• The number you entered was 00770077.

Congratulations! You have found an extremely cool number! It has a Universal Coolness Index of 99.33%

• 00770077 contains 2 4-of-a-kinds. Only 0.0032% of 8-digit numbers have this combination.
      • 00770077 contains 4 pairs together. Only 0.0073% of 8-digit numbers have this combination.
      • 00770077 has 2 unique digits. In 0.011% of 8-digit numbers, there are 2 or fewer unique digits.
      • 00770077's digits sum to 28. In 18% of 8-digit numbers, the digits sum to at most 28.

That's what I call a KEEPER, especially since it is also a STAR. Wow 99.33%
      Good show!

13. bonniview

bonniview Active Member

My avatar had nothing to do with my question and is completely unrelated. It was entirely seeking info on obsolete notes and their population amounts.

14. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Apologies for getting off track from your original inquiry. Obtaining the census of obsoletes is definitely a daunting endeavor. There have been numerous books published (mostly by SPMC) regarding obsoletes of a particular state. In each instance the author has included a Rarity scale indicating known/reported census at time of printing for a particular listed note. That could be a start. The Haxby obsolete currency books could be a starting point for you; the new David Bowers books on Obsolete Currency are another. However, the Bowers books are an ongoing project but still worthwhile. Wishing you much luck in your quest.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  15. bonniview

bonniview Active Member

Great info, thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted