Featured Observations from the Bourse-CAC

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tom B, May 18, 2014.

1. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

I thought you had some mighty fine coins listed when I went and took a peek. Prices seemed reasonable for what you were getting in my opinion. I know I added about 3 or 4 to my mental want list.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. risk_reward

risk_reward Active Member

I hate to admit it, because I thought you were crazy when you first said it, but then I saw the same mark in the same place on the Morgan in the thread below. I wonder why this same mark is showing up on all these coins? :confused:

http://www.cointalk.com/threads/guess-the-grade-1890-o-morgan-pcgs.246979/

4. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I have quite a few cac coins in my collection and yes their nice coins. I also have quite a few non cac coins that are equally if not more nice many were bought pre cac or were bought raw by me and submitted for grading. I feel cac is benificial for the coin marketplace as a trusted second opinion yet it's not nearly widespread enough to be the final say either. I like the idea tho to weed out some of the junk the tpgs occasionally let slide by

geekpryde likes this.
  5. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Just wanted to say that was a great write up.

And as for the large cent that was posted, well I have seen worse. In this case I would remain neutral since I do not have the knowledge of the graders, but that coin would not go in my collection. The EAC'ers would probably net it down into maybe to the EF price range. Not sure how they handle pitted or rusted dies, planchet flaws etc.

6. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Well I just got my results back for batch 3. I sent 60 coins, only 22 stickered. So 37% sticker rate. :banghead: The average is 40%. So I am slightly below average on this submission, and Tom is obviously WAY above average. :D

7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Any gold stickers?

8. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

9. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

I am a 63% success rate, but I cherry picked what I thought were my best coins. I wish I had more to submit, but I don't.

In my (limited) experience, coins with a negative feature, even if not very noticeable, get rejected - even if they are modestly graded. I tried a 1907 n/m $10 in AU58. IMO a great looking super slider, but was rejected for a barely noticeable scratch. A scratch that the light had to catch just right to reveal itself. I tried a 1903 O mint $10 in MS62. It flunked because of right obverse field chatter. I figured that a coin graded 62, although flashy and attractive, would certainly pass. How good is a 62 gonna look?

geekpryde likes this.
  10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's pretty simple, the more you know about coins the higher your percentage of CAC acceptance will be.

But I would still caution to always be aware of what I mentioned in my earlier comments in this thread. Otherwise your perception could well be skewed.

Draft saved Draft deleted