Observation about the US Mail

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kanga, Aug 18, 2020.

1. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

I have never been a postal employee. Merely, a contractor repairing infrastructure at a postal facility.

Having an electrical background I agree KISS is best. While, you the engineer, believe your design is made for the minimally-educated, the minimally-educated are not that educated. In this time of everyone has to be college edumacated, those that are skilled with their hands and brains are quickly becoming a dying breed. I'll leave that at that. I could go on a rant about electronics.

My neighborhood is safe for communal mailboxes. My biggest theft threat at one time was the post man or woman stealing my coins. Carry a gun if you don't feel safe.

LA_Geezer and Mainebill like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Realistically communal mailboxes are safer even in bad neighborhoods as they're individually locked. Normal mailboxes you would just have to walk around the street opening them all

The big downfall to the communal is that generally they're smaller than a normal mailbox so you get less room

gronnh20 likes this.
  4. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

You'll get no disagreement out of me, as I've previously explained I was raised in the Ghetto as the 9 year old father of 4 siblings and a virtually helpless Diabetic mother, when my father was taken from us.

I was blessed with help from a divine influence to become educated in both the trades and sciences, often "testing out" and auditing for credit. I can negotiate well, having a "streets education" akin to our illustrious leader, which virtually always allows assistance from able, and practical assistants. I did/do skirt many "rules" with assistance of prominent, impressed by performance.

In our region, they imprison defenders who threatenly brandish weapons, but I've several large attack canine companions, and openly wear my conceal-carry "1911" and "Super Black-Hawk".

I do the majority of coin sales on Craigslist, where many know me and my assistant retired police officer/detective/attorney.

I believe we're adequately prepared for lawless. It's the law-enforcement that concern me.

JMHO

gronnh20, Kentucky and Mainebill like this.
  5. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

A problem which I hadn't realized in the past just occurred where I shipped an "over-packaged" relatively small ~8# shipment of coins by PM "signature confirmation" to NJ. I warned the buyer that they should have someone available to receive the heavy package.

They didn't understand, weren't concerned, but had someone watching. The package was placed partially in the open mail box.

I tried to send a comment of insufficient service including the problem, tracking number, my e-mail address.

There was so much info required to submit an e-mail, that anyone of average intelligence would realize that the exercise was designed to eliminate "complaints".

I will still ship in that manner, but place greater emphasis upon informing a client to watch for a shipment.

I've found it doesn't matter what delivery service is used, as I've had incomplete deliveries from all ground services, but have caught some mis-deliveries by UPS where they were able to locate the "wrong address" through their truck tracking, and properly deliver my package. +1 for UPS, that's believed, won't be experienced with USPS.

JMHO

Mainebill likes this.
  6. bender9876

bender9876 Active Member

Im still having delay issues with my mail. NO ONE can say this isnt POLITICAL

Bayern likes this.
  7. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Delay issues with usps for me has been going on for several years and progressively getting worse. Starting last fall in particular it’s been awful. I’ve gotten some things in 2 days from across the country others take 2 weeks or are sent back coming from Massachusetts. Since the new director has taken over it’s no better no worse. My hope is he cuts through the bs and streamlined the process and makes it profitable. They need someone from the private business sector to shake things up. I’m hopeful but apprehensive. No reason they shouldn’t turn a profit. Ups and Fedex do. And it’s not like it’s cheap for any of us to ship stuff. Maybe cut out the sweetheart deals for big companies like Amazon (which I’m sure come with kickbacks for certain officials) and be competitive again. They’ve always known they had the government backing so they ran it as inefficiently as they could to maximize their profits and benefits (sounds like most politicians especially congress) ups and Fedex pay very well and have great benefits yet are profitable (my neighbor now works for ups as a mechanic too) I’ve been saying for years they need to cut the inefficiency I hope it happens as the service (yes that’s a part of their name!!) has been sorely lacking for at least the last 8-10 years

philologus_1 likes this.
  8. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

What's needed is a repeal of the legislation requiring the post office to fund pensions for people that haven't even been born yet all in an attempt to privatize. A bunch of greedy corporate bastards can't wait to get their mitts in Our Mail Service.

Mainebill and UncleScroge like this.
  9. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

My neighbor across the street and I have an agreement, we phone each other when one of us is first to see the mail truck pass by our "normal" mailboxes. Thievery is rampant in this neighborhood. This saves the potential theft when an item that is too large for the box is left at the front door.

10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

That’s good you have that relationship. No porch pirates here thankfully

11. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Update.

PCGS appears to be slow.
    The coin has been in grading for the past 2 weeks.
    I also paid for variety attribution so that's probably part of the problem.
    And the pandemic ....

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Just read this thread and didn't see any replies to you, so:
    upload_2020-8-30_11-14-19.png

13. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

Thanks! For some reason I don't see it on my posts and come to think of it, anyone's posts, must be a setting. :)

14. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I posted earlier about incidents that occurred to me, however, another one just hit me. I ordered two gold coins separately from the Mint. The alerted me that I would have to sign for them upon delivery, which is what they always have done. Anyway, The first one was delivered to my house in the country. It was left at the front door. The UPS deliverer person signed for it and dropped it at my door. The second gold coin was also sent by UPS, however, the delivery time was changed 3 times with about a 5-6 hour block. On the third time, I got on the UPS website and changed the delivery to the UPS station, 30 miles from home. I got an email telling me it was there. I got to the UPS station and had to wait behind some man with 30 medium size boxes to ship. With the 6 foot standard, I was 12 feet outside in a heat index of 107. No matter my complaint, the package was there, and I only had to wait about 20 minutes. Now, that's really they way I like it, because I don't like to twittle my thumbs for 4-5 hours waiting for the delivery.

Mainebill likes this.
  15. baseball21

Lucky you have neighbors like that, not everyone is so fortunate.

That's only slow if you used express service. That's still a week ahead of time of normal regular and about a month ahead of normal economy. Variety attribution usually adds about a week too.

USPS has gps tracking too

16. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Sure.

17. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I used U.S. Standard (15 days) plus the variety attribution (another week?) so I'm still in the expected window.
    It's just that this is the last coin to complete a set so I'm getting antsy.

18. baseball21

Generally they say variety adds 5 days to the tier and remember it's business days so next Monday won't count. I'm super inpatient with it too, just remember to check the status of it 3 times an hour to speed it up :p

UncleScroge likes this.
  19. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Oh, NOW I see my problem!
    I only check twice a day -- but 7 days a week :sour:

baseball21 likes this.
  20. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

I bought a coin I had to send back. The return address was in Arlington, TX. I had been waiting for a return on my money. I checked the tracking number and the coin indeed made it to the Dallas postal hub. Only to be sent to the Kansas City postal hub. Who knows where it will land next.

I have on occasion received my neighbor's mail by mistake. Usually a couple houses down from me. One time it was another street over with my same street number. Never, though, and I repeat never have I opened my mailbox to find another individual's mail from another city. But, it wasn't just one individual, it was two different pieces of mail for two different people in the same city.

These two instances are not isolated from what has been posted previously by others. My opinion is someone tried to cut some folks overtime hours. Resulting in said employees possible cut in pay. Cuts in pay don't usually equate to an increase in job performance.

UncleScroge likes this.
  21. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Where you go wrong is that the pay tables for postal workers is rather substantial and should not require overtime pay to make a decent living. My brother was mail carrier while he attended college and supported a wife and child. As I recall his car was no more than two years old when he graduated and took his CPA exam. Postal workers have a more comfortable living arrangement than they would like for you to believe/

I live in a high crime neighborhood, and mail boxes are rifled rather regularly. That is why my neighbor and I watch out for each other as noted in post #88 above.

I also noted in this thread even earlier that a coin I bought from an ebay seller in San Diego took more than two weeks to arrive here. Contrary to that, I returned a coin that I purchased from a seller in Delaware last Friday—just 4 days ago. Surprisingly, the seller received it yesterday—in 3 days—and promptly returned my payment via PayPal.

The USPS is a mess. The two private concerns do a lot better job, and should be given carte blanche to compete for your business. A consequence might be that the amount of junk mail you receive would diminish.

Mainebill and imrich like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted