Observation about the US Mail

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kanga, Aug 18, 2020.

1. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Things currently appear to move slowly through the US Mail system.
    Normal items are often pushing a week to get around the country.
    BUT
    Tracked items seem to zip along.

I sent an item to PCGS.
    It went insured (Wash, DC to California) so tracking was involved.
    It went into the mail Saturday morning and was in California waiting for pickup by PCGS yesterday.
    Two days to cross the country!

Works for me :D

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

And to think, it passed through all 50 states besides D.C.! :woot:

Mainebill and capthank like this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I've had mixed results. Some things have been super fast but others have bounced around and sat for a long time.

-jeffB, capthank and harrync like this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Observation:

The mail sucks lately.

I have been waiting for two envelopes.

One from NYC: over a month.

One from NJ: about 3 weeks.

I am only 30+ miles from each

6. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

A letter from NY took 10 days to get to New Mex, whereas anything I bought on Amazon or Ebay got here on time, even if shipped USPS.

philologus_1 and capthank like this.
  7. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

Sent a tracked package via USPS Priority Mail to Winter Park, CO. (from Cleveland) on 8/8. It arrived in Denver on 8/10. Left Denver 8/11. Not yet delivered, and no updates since leaving Denver on 8/11.

capthank likes this.
  8. Dobbin

Dobbin Active Member

I had a tracked item fail to be delivered yesterday, with the explanation that the delivery point was inaccessible. This is despite the fact that two pieces of untracked mail were in my mailbox.

capthank likes this.
  9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

and we sent my daughter a package, media mail, to Oregon from NY and it only took 5 days

10. Chris11111952

Chris11111952 Member

I get my coins from Ohio I'm in NY before the BS started I would get USPS tracking saying pkg is 4/5 days out I almost always got pkg 1/2 days early. Now tracking says 4/5 days out but it sits in White Plains PO for 2days before it gets to Yonkers PO. It's only a 15-20 min ride between PO. Something is up.

capthank likes this.
  11. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Don't get me started ... I had a tracked package that was mailed from Jamaica NY on June 23 with an estimated delivery date of June 27 to Canton MI, a suburb of Metropolitan Detroit. It first arrived at Jersey City NJ on June 24. From there it arrived at Detroit MI Distribution Center on July 2. Next it arrived at Columbia SC Processing Center on July 8. Then it arrived back at Detroit MI Network Distribution Center on July 12. It sat there until it was finally delivered on August 14.
    Undoubtedly, this is the doings of Louis DeJoy, who assumed his position of Postmaster General June 16. The first postmaster in two decades without prior experience in the United States Postal Service.

Jeffjay, TopcatCoin, Bayern and 3 others like this.
  12. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

You have had better luck with your eBay purchases than me. Spotty performance: some get here in two or three days, some take two weeks [domestic mail]. Canada mostly takes a couple of weeks, but a few days ago I was astonished to get a Canadian package in just three days.

capthank and UncleScroge like this.
  13. Scuba4fun777

Scuba4fun777 Well-Known Member

I’m also in SE Michigan. Since the Chinese virus hit, any tracked items that go thru the Detroit service center (actually it’s in Allen Park, MI) will mysteriously disappear for 3-5 mail days before delivery. However, any tracked item sent thru the Pontiac, MI sort facility has always been delivered the next mail day.

14. John Wright

John Wright Well-Known Member

That was quite some route if it had to include Alaska and Hawaii.

15. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

The new postmaster general is trying to reduce the USPS operating deficit by eliminating overtime, removing sorting machines and collection boxes - not a good way to streamline the delivery process :eek: - I worked for the postal service from 1974 to 2003 & the delivery times for first class/priority mail were mostly two and three days - major delays were the exception rather than the rule.

-jeffB, Jeffjay, TopcatCoin and 4 others like this.
  16. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I won an eBay auction Sunday night. I paid Monday at noon and the coin shipped from California that day. It is arriving today. This is the same delivery performance from this vendor and the USPS that I came to expect pre-Covid.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Nah things like that have been been happening LONG before DeJoy took over.

philologus_1 and Mainebill like this.
  18. UncleScroge

Not in my world, they haven't.

John Burgess likes this.
  19. LRC-Tom

LRC-Tom Been around the block...

My results have been mixed. I tend to watch tracking, and some have gotten to their destination in 2-3 days, others over a week. I just sent a package to Mt.Airy, MD (about 40 miles away for me, for those that don't know our area). It will be interesting to see how long that takes.

20. UncleScroge

There will be the First Congressional Hearing on Postal Service held tomorrow, Friday (8/21) at 9:00 AM EST. Want to watch the hearing live? You can do so by clicking here, or by going to Senator Gary Peters' Facebook page, or by going to his Twitter page.

21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

No it isn't. MI has had HUGE problems all year with slow mail from the lockdowns and everything I have sent there for the last 4-5 months has taken significantly longer.

I am assuming you're just taking political shots if you think the new Postmaster General is the reason for not only mail being slow in MI but for your package to take a detour like that's never happened before.

atcarroll likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted