Oblique Milling - to Left or to Right?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robidoux Pass, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

Some coins have oblique milling varieties. They may be described as "oblique milling to the left" or "oblique milling to the right." How does one distinguish the two varieties? I've searched CT and the internet and have yet to find an explanation.

I'm assuming the slant is determined with the obverse side up -- but please correct me if I'm in error. However, for example, is oblique milling to the right determined:
    a) starting from the bottom and slanting up to the right?
    b) or is it from the top slanting down to the right?

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Do you have a specific example? I could try to see if I have one and see which
    way the milling slopes compared to the designation. A coin with diagonal milling is
    "chiral" in the sense that there are only two mirror-imaged possibilities. Facing
    the front, do the grooves rotate clockwise or counterclockwise compared to the
    cylindrical axis of the coin. I would assume the "right" or "left" refers to the
    direction the milling shifts as you go from top to bottom, though I suppose
    people could have defined it the other way around.

Robidoux Pass likes this.
  4. muhfff

muhfff Well-Known Member

I would guess something like that:
    Regular milling - ||||||
    Oblique right - //////
    Oblique left - \\\\\\
    It doesn't matter if you look obverse or reverse, the milling on the edge is still in the same direction.

I know that old Russian coins can have oblique milling (although it is called as "rope edge")

NSP, The Eidolon and Robidoux Pass like this.
  5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I've never heard the term so I suspect that it's not a factor for what I collect.
    A more detailed explanation would be interesting to me.

6. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

The 18th century silver coins in my collection have what you are describing.

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

? Never heard of this. As @kanga said, more information would be appreciated.

8. Robidoux Pass

@muhfff, thanks for your input. You present a clearer and more visual representation of what I was asking. But as @muhff says his response is a guess.

So among catalogers and auction descriptions, what is the correct orientation? Is "oblique right":
    a) from the bottom up to the right /////
    or b) from the top down to the right \\\\\

Italian States, British India, and Russian coins come to mind right now as having coins with oblique milling. I'm sure there are many others.

Joshua Lemons likes this.
  9. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

But what it you view the coin's edge upright, as though it were balanced on its edge? That is how I view an edge. Your "oblique left" now goes up and to the right.

10. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

The upright edge is one way the other is turn in over

11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I meant to say turn it over obverse to reverse, sorry for the grammar the first time.

12. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I know some coins of British Guiana have a security edge. I collect world coins, so im always happy if the edge has a design, lettering etc. I have a couple coins with milled edges, but I can't find how to tell if it's right or left. I think edges are ignored most of the time.

13. muhfff

muhfff Well-Known Member

Well, You can view the edge of the coin in any angle You want :)
    However, as much as I have seen, people usually "read" the edge from left to right, especially if the edge has some lettering.
    For example it makes more sense to read "IN GOD WE TRUST" instead of "TSURT EW DOG NI" (imagine that these letters are under 90 degrees angle) or even the same sentence under 90 degrees angle in the "other way" "-Z...".
    I cant see any good reason why the milling should be "read" differently

14. Coinsandmedals

Coinsandmedals Well-Known Member

This is an excellent question with an easy answer.

Oblique left: \\\\\\\\\\

Oblique right: //////////

This is the “standard” used by notable reference guides such as those authored by Peck or Pridmore. I quickly realized that the edge is one of most important, if not the most important, side(s) to study when collecting early English and Irish copper.

Robidoux Pass, NSP and Joshua Lemons like this.
  15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I think of it this way

Milling is normally straight up and down llllll
    If the milling get pushed and falls over to the right ////// it is right oblique milling
    If it get pushed and falls over to the left \\\\\\ it is left oblique milling.

Robidoux Pass and NSP like this.
  16. Robidoux Pass

Thanks, @Coinsandmedals, I was especially looking for a written reference. And I'm happy you provided two.

Coinsandmedals likes this.
  17. Robidoux Pass

Thanks, @Conder101. You provided an excellent mnemonic device. Simple ... but with a hidden brilliance. This is a good example of why I enjoy Coin Talk. There is really a lot of helpful advice given.

Draft saved Draft deleted