O.K., this is a stretch

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Scubalou, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Scubalou

Scubalou Well-Known Member

This thing is worn to death. That said I'm wondering if it could be a broad strike. I know it's worth the price of silver (minus the wear), but the devices look like they may be a ways from the edge - especially under the MM. Just trying to hone my skills? Appreciate any input. Thanks: Lou

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

To paraphrase the 13th century Franciscan Friar and philosopher, William of Ockham, the simplest explanation is usually the correct explanation

Cheech9712, Scubalou and Kentucky like this.
  4. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Not a broadstrike. Just a heavily worn silver quarter.

Scubalou likes this.
  5. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

looks like a dryer coin which then experienced a whole lotta circulation after being rescued from the dryer :confused:

Scubalou likes this.
  6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Measure it, and you'll find that it's the same diameter as any other quarter, or slightly smaller (from wear).

That's just the way a silver quarter looks when it's been worked to death.

Mike Thorne and Scubalou like this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Do you see any reeding on the edge. A Broadstruck quarter is struck out of the retaining collar (3rd die) which creates the reeding. If you see the reeding on any quarter then it is not Broadstruck.

8. Scubalou

I'm afraid I must confess to my confusion. I was under the impression that the coins went thru the upset milling process before being struck. Videos I've seen, from the mint, show this process. I trust your analysis. I will endeavor to become better educated. Thanks: Lou

Attached Files:

1stSgt22 likes this.
  9. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

The upsetting mill puts a proto rim in place with enough metal in that area for forming the full rim when struck in the collar. The collar is the 3rd die which in the case of circulation coinage will also impart, when required, reeding, lettering etc. Proof coins generally have their edges details imparted in a separate process.
    Therefore, if a coin that is supposed to have a reeded edge is struck outside of the collar, it would show no reeding and normally be a little larger diameter due to not being constrained in the collar.

10. Steve Shupe

Steve Shupe Active Member

Nope, not broadstruck. The edge proves it.

Scubalou likes this.
  11. Cliff Reuter

Cliff Reuter Well-Known Member

Simply put, the upsetting mill doesn't put the reeds on the edge. The reeds are formed from the collar die when the coin is struck.

If it was broadstruck, there would be no reeds on the edge because the collar die wouldn't be in place to form the reeds.

Scubalou likes this.
  12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Could you please take the extra step to post your photos Full Image?

13. Scubalou

Understood,Thank you very much: Lou

14. Scubalou

Thank You: Lou

15. Scubalou

Sure Full obverse.jpg Gull reverse.jpg

16. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Just looks like a well-worn, AG3 1936-D Washington 25c to me.

Scubalou likes this.
  17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It’s just a worn silver quarter worth it’s junk value price. Most definitely not an error coin.

Scubalou likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted