O boy! Help with my new Unknowable obol

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Been having a blast identifying coins from my mixed lot from Timeline:bookworm::pompous::snaphappy::woot:
    I have been able to identify them all (even a tricky, for me, Parthian).
    But the last, and tiniest, has me scratching my head.
    It is a tiny obol. Just 0.8 gr and about 7 mm.
    The alloy appears to be debased silver, my best guess, or possibly bronze. It has an incuse punch on the reverse and the obverse is (best guesses cat?, dolphin ??)... something I would appreciate some help figuring out, as well as the coins homeland:
    20201212_184819.jpg Screenshot_20201208-172017_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png 20201212_125538.jpg 20201212_125633.jpg

Any help is appreciated:happy:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I believe what you have there is actually an unpopped popcorn kernel. You know, the ones at the bottom of the bag which sneak into the fistful you're eating and make you break a tooth? ;)

With that quip, I'll show myself the door. Sorry- haven't a clue here, I'm afraid. Way out of my depth.

4. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

...The ones that are unpopped, but fat and brown, are the best ones. When I was a kid, the family fought over 'em. When they marketed Corn Nuts, I said, 'See?!?'
    ...Sorry, zero help with the obol. Up close, does it really look like some kind of bovine?

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

Looks like a billon fraction from Lesbos, although the incuse punch looks like the ace of spades :) do you have a more exact weight?

6. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

For no (redundancy alert: ) rational reason, there was some hope in the back of my mind that this might be from Lesbos. Really only because I found one of the ones with the African profile, c. 5th c. BCE.

ominus1 and Ryro like this.
  7. Ryro

Thanks so much! My Triton 2 scale doesn't go beyond tenths of a gram. But it seems to be pretty close to 0.8 as when I first put it on it registered .7 but on the next three attempts after calibrating it was .8 gr each time.
    And great call out on the interesting incuse design:wideyed:

Lol @lordmarcovan and @+VGO.DVCKS :hilarious:
    I was pretty sure it was a kernel fallen out of my late night munchies fest... but when it chipped my tooth:depressed: and tasted like history:pompous:, I realized it must be an ancient coin;)

+VGO.DVCKS, ominus1 and lordmarcovan like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Attribution:

upload_2020-12-13_15-22-27.png
    Kingdom of Unknowable
    Billon Knob
    7mm, 0.8g
    Obv: Useless Blob
    Rev: Incuse afterthought
    Ex: @Ryro
    Comment: This is actually an Ancient Jujube... Found on an ancient theatre floor, stuck on a sandal.
    upload_2020-12-13_15-38-34.png

9. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

....the unknowable obol...hahaha...><

+VGO.DVCKS and Ryro like this.
  10. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

This is quite a puzzle.... The flan characteristics point to a billon fraction from Lesbos. I can't associate it with a known depiction. It's too small to be an african head, it might be a very worn bull's or boar's head. Are the rest of the coins in your lot from Asia minor?

5867026.jpg

11. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Eureka! By Zeus, I believe he's nailed it!

+VGO.DVCKS, Alegandron and Ryro like this.
  12. Ryro

Funny enough, I'm fairly familiar with tiny archaic lesbians:
    20190327_123825_1C7E325A-40B6-4209-840E-B00CB9C74183-469-0000005F4B98DE79.png
    Lesbos. Uncertain mint circa 500-450 BC.
    Obol BI
    8mm., 0,89g.
    Confronted boars' heads / Quadripartite incuse square.
    very fine
    Klein 348

share4229419103297332926.png
    LESBOS. Uncertain. BI 1/36 Stater (Circa 500-450 BC).
    Obv: Two eyes or grain ears (shields??)
    Rev: Quadripartite incuse square (swastika-shaped).
    SNG Copenhagen 292; HGC 6, 1074.
    Condition: very fine.
    Weight: 0.26 g.
    Diameter: 3 mm.

Agreed about it not being the African head.
    And though that reverse has the closest to the ace of spades/arrow look of mine, I hold the coin at every angle and don't think it's a boar smashing against a shield nor confronting heads.

13. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Could that be a ram's head on the obverse? With an off center quatripartite incuse punch?

Klazomenai, in Ionia?

+VGO.DVCKS and Ryro like this.
  14. Ryro

Just giving this a little bump in hopes that the right archaic greek collector sees this:happy:

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  15. Ryro

Last bump, I promise. I was able to get much better pictures using a magnifying glass in front of my phone and I tried a different angle.
    Any ideas or guesses what and where this little fella is from?
    Screenshot_20201215-104643_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  16. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

The lightning makes it a lot more easier. Looks to me a forepart of a horse/goat?
    Indeed looks Billon but the weight indicates an Obol. Perhaps a debased coin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4893910

Legs are not entirely the same, but the above coin is unpublished. Could be that you have an unpublished variety as well from the same region or I am IDing it wrong, but definitely looks like the forepart of an animal.

17. Ryro

Excellent eye! Thanks so much!
    I was thinking it was an eagle for a while and what is the tucked legs where it's left wing.
    But I think you are right. Now off to ac search.
    Here is the adjusted photo:
    Screenshot_20201215-130841_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted