NYINC - Three denarii from 70s-60s BCE

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Fugio1, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Rounding of my purchases at NYINC are three denarii:

1. CN LENTVLUS Lentulus struck these SC coins as quaestor, probably in Spain as part of Pompey's campaign. He was later Consul in 56.
    393-1a-CNG-3,92g.jpg
    Obverse: Male bust r. (Genius Populi Romani), draped hair tied with band, and scepter over shoulder. G.P.R above head. Beaded border.
    Reverse: Scepter with wreath, globe and rudder; on l., EX; on r., SC; below, CN.LEN.Q. Border of dots
    Mint: Spain?
    Weight: 3.92 gm.
    Reference: RRC393/1a;
    Provenance: CNG private purchase Jan. 17, 2020

2. Q POMPONIVS MVSA - Urania, Muse of astronomy
    410-8-MVSA-Urania-4.09g-Wht.jpg
    Obverse: Head of Muse of Astronomy r. Star behind.
    Reverse: Urania stdg l., holding rod in r. hand and pointing to globe resting on tripod; on r., Q.POMPOI downwards; on l., MVSA downward with pronunciation apex over V.
    Weight: 4.09 gm.
    Reference: Crawford 410/8
    Provenance: Herb Kreindler purchased Jan. 17, 2020.
    Ex Roma Auction 18, 9/29/2019
    Ex CNG Triton XXII January 2019 lot 882
    Ex Alan J Harlan Collection, privately purchased from A.H. Baldwin & Sons LTD.

Crawford and others identified the obverse head as Apollo, but others convincingly argue it is the head of the muse, Each with its identifying symbol behind the head.

L. SCRIBONIVS LIBO - Tongs at the base of the well head
    416-1b-Libo-Tongs-4.09g.jpg
    Era: 62 BC
    Metal: AR
    Obverse: LIBO BON.EVENT; Head of Bonus eventus r.
    Reverse: PVTEAL. Above well head (puteal). Well head is decorated with lyres, festoon and Tongs. SCRIBON in exergue.
    Mint: Rome
    Weight: 4.09 gm.
    Reference: Crawford 416/1b
    Provenance: Sovereign Rarities. Purchased Jan. 18, 2020

My very first ancient coin was a denarius of L. Scribonius Libo with hammer symbol ( see below with black background). Libo struck coins with 3 minting implements: Hammer, Tongs, and Anvil. The hammer is by far the most common, perhaps 90% of extant specimens. The Tongs symbol is scarce, and the anvil is by far the least common.
    416-1.jpg

eparch, Spaniard, TIF and 25 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Those coins have sharp detail. Very nice.
    L SCRIBONIUS LIBO.jpg

Xodus, Alegandron, Carthago and 8 others like this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wow, those are mega beauties, congrats. I like the Urania best.

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

6. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great coins. I like the Muse of Astronomy best. It reminds me of Hermione Granger...
    hermione wiz world.png

Roman Collector likes this.
  7. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

@Bing, Lovely Bonus Eventus style on your Scribonius. When I first bought mine from Tom Mckenna, it was style that won over all other attributes. It still is.

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I have had this coin for many years. I can't recall what attracted me to it, but I still love the coin. Yours has better style and detail overall.

9. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Beautiful.. I love the obverse (especially the beard) on the CN LENTVLUS and certainly the Q POMPONIVS MVSA is in very fine style.

Excellent additions to say the least!

10. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Below is my anvil example. Not up to my usual condition standards, but I make exceptions for rarity/scarcity. I'll upgrade, if I ever find a better one!

ScriboniaWellCombined.jpg

There is a little known fourth symbol - cap of Vulcan - often confused with the anvil, but discernable by its conical or rounded shape vs. my anvil above which is clearly square.

11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Absolutely stunning! I've often toyed with the idea of collecting a set of Musa's denarii depicting each of the Muses, but I don't have that kind of patience or cash to do so, for I'd have to buy coins infrequently so as to keep in-budget and I'd go into withdrawal during the months between purchases.

12. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

This is what I believe to be the cap symbol you mention, from my collection.

L Scribonius Libo 416-1c Naville 2017.jpg

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@Fugio1 ... very nice!!!

Lotsa circulation here!

[​IMG]
    Roman Republic
    L Scribonius Libo 62 BCE
    AR Denarius
    Puteal Scribonianum
    Sear 367 Craw 416/1

[​IMG]
    RR Cn. Cornelius Lentulus Marcellinus, moneyer. AR Denarius minted in Spain, 76-75 BC. Diademed, draped, bearded bust right of the Genius of the Roman People, scepter over right shoulder. Reverse : Globe between wreathed scepter and rudder. Sear 323; Cornelia 54; Craw. 393/1a

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  14. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

. Yours is a very nice representative example.

I had never heard this and never seen an example.

. Thanks Carthago, most impressive.

Carthago likes this.
  15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Congratulations for acquiring three spectacular coins! That Urania is spectacular!

Draft saved Draft deleted