NYINC finds.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Swervo513, Jan 19, 2020.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

20200119_220654.jpg
    my wife found a bit of yarn too

galba68, Carthago, Swervo513 and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I do not know much yet. I googled - "Byzantine Empress steelyard" and found a few examples (3 at the NY Met). I have not weighted it yet, but it is heavy.
    20200117_125300.jpg
    From the card, I guess 6 to 8 inches.

galba68, Fugio1, Andres2 and 5 others like this.
  4. savitale

savitale Well-Known Member

Congrats on the 12 Caesar set. Looks like a really nice one. I hope to complete one myself some day.

Swervo513 and Clavdivs like this.
  5. VDB

VDB Active Member

Congrats on completing the set! Looks great!!!

Swervo513 likes this.
  6. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Okay, here is a set of mine.
    Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 11.59.28 AM.png

7. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Congrats on completing the set! Here's mine.

The First 12 in black.jpg

8. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

@Nemo That is a great set. I am of course fixated on that superb Domitian denarius with Aegis. I know a great alternate home for it! :angelic:

Nemo likes this.
  9. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

:D

10. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Congrats Swerzo completing your 12 Caesar silver set.

your JC is the same coin I have in my set , its not lifetime 44 BC but struck 4 years later in 40 BC

P1230477 j c best.jpg

What next you ask, I added 6 more emperors to the set Nerva,Trajan,Hadrian,Antoninus Pius,Lucius Verus and Marcus Aurelius.

I also did the 12 (18) Caesars in bronze.

My silver set is in a display case , and it hangs on the wall of my office.

P1230463.JPG

galba68, rrdenarius, Fugio1 and 3 others like this.
  11. Swervo513

Swervo513 Well-Known Member

Wow!
    Amazing set the both of you! Love those Galbas.
    Ahh I didn’t even realize it wasn’t a life time issue! Love that display case! Can you link me to it? Or where you bought it?

12. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

I buy cases in lots they are second hand, some I convert with new inlays as the 18 Caesar case, No idear where they original came from.

Here's my 18 Caesar set in bronze , much easier then the silver denarii set, the only difficult(expensive) one was the Vitellius.

18 Caesar set cc small.jpg

13. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, did you have an opportunity to view the reverses in this set?

While it's an attractive set of 12 Caesars denarii, I note that the Julius Caesar is not a lifetime portrait, nor is the Claudius (which was struck under Nero).

I spent an hour or so researching similar coins on ACSEARCH and I estimate that a collector could create an equivalent set, from auction, in about a year for $20K- $30K less than the asking price shown here.

Does anyone know if this set was sold?

BTW, congratulations on finishing your set in silver. You'll find it's well worth the effort to create a virtual tray of all 12 coins -- they look great displayed that way.

Swervo513 and Orfew like this.
  14. Parthicus Maximus

Parthicus Maximus Well-Known Member

Congratulations on completing your 12 Caesars set. All 12 are impressive.
    Hopefully someday I'll complete also a set. But it's not a specific goal for me.

Swervo513 likes this.
  15. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Congrats on the Twelve Caesars set. I will be posting mine in a few weeks when a Titus bronze comes in. Doing a set in all silver is impressive.

Swervo513 likes this.
  16. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

@Swervo513, Great accomplishment and congratulations are in order. Sorry I missed you at the NYINC. I was there and had a good time too, but overpaid a bit on a couple of my purchases, generally the ones I knew least about. I still don't regret any of them. It all balances out in the end, in more ways than one.

Swervo513 and red_spork like this.
  17. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

I found one significant coin, illustrated top left, from the collection of Etienne Recamier who died in 1873. The bulk of his Roman coins, presumably including this, come from his purchasing site finds and sometimes complete hoards, from the region around Lyon in France, between 1850 and 1870. Untitled 1.jpg

18. Swervo513

Swervo513 Well-Known Member

What a sweet bronze. I guess I have to start collecting the later caesars from Nerva on. I didn’t really think of them as one of the Caesarian dynasty. I already have Trajan and Marcus Aurelius so that should make the transition easier.
    I did not get a chance. I’m sure it’s way overpriced.
    What did you end up getting? As long as you’re happy with your purchases that’s what matters.
    that’s pretty awesome please do share.

Draft saved Draft deleted