NYINC coin #1 - H quinarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Fugio1, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

My first visit to NYINC was a great success for me because I bought some nice coins, learned a lot, and met several of my long-time correspondents face to face for the first time. The weather was not great unless you like cold and wind but as a side activity, we saw “Dear Evan Hansen” at the Music Box Theater, one of the best Broadway musicals I’ve seen.
    I was filled with expectations of finding nice examples of the items at the top of my want list of early Roman Republican silver. In that regard, I was generally disappointed, but I did obtain this:

NYINC Acquisition #1 H Quinarius
    85-1-GandM-2.24g-blk-2.jpg
    Obverse: Helmeted head of Roma R,; V behind. Border of dots
    Reverse: Dioscuri on horseback right, each holding spear, star above each head; ROMA in exergue. “H” in field below horsemen
    Mint: SE Italy
    Weight: 2.24 gm.
    Reference: Crawford 85/1a
    Provenance: Gorny & Mosch; Ex. Ex Gerhard Hirsch Sept 25, 2019 lot 2555

This coin met all of my expectations, falling into my collecting focus, being of exceptional quality, and for a reasonable price (though significantly more than it hammered for in a G. Hirsch auction. I actually had this coin on my watch list for this auction, but decided not to bid. The Hirsch photo didn't give this coin justice).
    I noticed a reverse stylistic similarity to another quinarius already in my collection, the Roma symbol variety.
    84-2-Tintinna 65-Sept 2017.jpg
    I bought 4 other coins at NYINC, All of them surprises outside of my primary focus area. I'll post these later.

galba68, ancientone, Andres2 and 26 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

I saw that H quinarius before you bought it. It's a great coin. Congratulations! I would have bought it myself, if I didn't already have a slightly inferior specimen.

This correspondant was happy to meet you!

rrdenarius, Carthago and Alegandron like this.
  4. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

A terrific acquisition! Nice to hear you had a great time at the show too.

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow, I enjoy Quinarii. Have a few. Yours are Wonderful captures! Excellent H specimen, and I have always enjoyed the cool / very creative monograms on Roman coins. That “ROMA” is fantastic, @Fugio1 .

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    ominus1 and rrdenarius like this.
  6. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

That is a great H.
    Like you, I bought one coin in my collecting area, and several that were not.
    20200119_235719.jpg
    We stayed a few days extra and saw The Play That Goes Wrong. Have not laughed that much in a long time.
    I enjoyed Harry Potter. My wife passed on that one.
    20200119_142440.jpg 20200119_142455.jpg 20200119_142527.jpg 20200119_142428.jpg

ominus1 likes this.
  7. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

@rrdenarius looks like you got some Aes and some wool. Love to hear more about these. Great to talk to you at lunch Saturday.

rrdenarius likes this.
  8. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

That was a really excellent pick up. Even with the premium paid over the last sale this is just a really fantastic and impressive quinarius in-hand. Congrats!

I have a couple H quinarii, one in the more usual style like yours and one in a likely later style since it doesn't show up in the early hoards:
    20160114011226-791b986a-me.jpg
    Roman Republic AR quinarius(16.3mm, 1.94g, 12h). Anonymous. ca. 212-196 B.C. Apulian mint. Helmeted head of Roma right, V behind / ROMA, the Dioscuri riding right, each holds a spear; H below. Crawford 85/1a; Sydenham 174; RSC 33b; Russo RBW 347.
    Ex RBW Collection, ex Malter XXX(Frederick Hastings Rindge collection, assembled in the 19th century), lot 1473, 6/7/1985

20170324205200-983e7af4-me.jpg
    Roman Republic AR quinarius(2.16g, 16mm, 9h). Anonymous. ca. 212-196 B.C. Apulian mint. Helmeted head of Roma right, V behind / ROMA, the Dioscuri riding right, each holds a spear; H below. Crawford 85/1a; Sydenham 174; RSC 33b; Russo RBW 348/NAC 61 lot 356(these dies)

galba68, Andres2, Alegandron and 4 others like this.
  9. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Fabulous examples Jordan, especially the second variety which is stylistically in every way different on both obverse and reverse, and more interesting than the more common variation. In spite of it not being differentiated by Crawford, it looks to be a separate variety so is on my want list, along with the variation with the H behind the horses.

rrdenarius likes this.
  10. Alegandron

QUINARIUS H

upload_2020-1-23_14-55-57.png
    RR Anon AR Quinarius 211-210 BCE 16mm 2.14g SE Italia mint Roma V ROMA Dioscuri H Cr 85-1a SYD 174 RSC33b ex RBW

Carthago, galba68, akeady and 4 others like this.
  11. Alegandron

We are all foucussing on the Letter 'H'. I believe the Letter 'Q' is getting very upset and feeling left out... Here are a couple of Q's to make them feel better: :)

upload_2020-1-23_15-34-44.png
    RR Fundanius AR Quinarius 101 BCE Marius triumph Jupiter E control Victory captive carnyx Q Sear 205 Craw 326-2

upload_2020-1-23_15-36-55.png
    RR AR Quinarius 16mm 1.77g P Sabinus Rome 99 BCE Jupiter r E 3 pellets - P SABINE Q in ex Victory trophy E 3 pellets Cr 331-1

12. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Here is another Q - RRC 86A/1: 86A-1.jpg

Carthago, galba68, akeady and 4 others like this.
  13. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

@Fugio1 - great quinarius which got to see in hand. I also saw it at the bourse and considered buying it but figured one is enough. Really a lovely example.

I've got a small H variety like @red_spork .

Anonymous Quinarius H Seris 85-1a NAC 2008.jpg

14. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Wow. Fabulous example. Looks nearly as struck and natural toning. An inspiration.

Carthago and red_spork like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted