NYINC Acquisitions?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gsimonel, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

OMG, what can I say to find out my coin is the subject of one of your creative montages other than thank you and AAWWWEESSOOOMMME!!

Really full of awesome TIF!! I'll never look at it the same and in an even better way. :woot:

TIF likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Carthago

Indeed I've always liked yours Steve! You have the crested helmet where mine are sea slug nudibranch (which always thought took place in my backyard in a tree) :muted:

stevex6 likes this.
  4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Carthago => yah, but your cool helmet gets definite Schultz-credit!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Ah! So that was you laboring over that poor Double Litra. Its really a shame about the scratch. I hope you can find an upgrade soon!

Carausius likes this.
  6. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

@Ardatirion has a full beard, I presume? :)Thanks for your all your help that day. Yes, the labor was deciding whether I could live with the damage. I don't usually buy "hole fillers" but this Double Litra is particularly complete and sharp for the type and has a lovely dark green patina with some minor obverse pitting, as typical. It's a lovely example, but for the damn scratch, which is thankfully on the reverse field and not the devices. Also, as this type is MoU restricted, the Vecchi 3 (1996) provenance is important. Finally, it was priced fairly by CNG to reflect the damage. A true upgrade of this coin (same condition, no scratch) will likely cost 3 to 4x the price I paid for this one. So, I made an uncharacteristic condition concession! You were very patient waiting for me to decide. I hope you had a good show.

Carthago, Theodosius, Jwt708 and 2 others like this.
  7. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

You know where to send them for cleaning JA

Theodosius, John Anthony and Jwt708 like this.
  8. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

That's me! I was inspired by those Transylvanian coins:
    [​IMG]

9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I found two Greek drachms - one is sexy, the other one has a great personality.

First sexy: drachm of Istros with nice centering, surfaces, and tone...

istros 6.jpg

Now personality. This really is an interesting coin because I've never seen an overstruck drachm of Apollonia. You can see some depressions at the top-right obverse and lower-right reverse where the coin was grabbed by tongs...

pontika 6.jpg

And there is enough detail on the reverse left from the undertype to suggest the coin was struck over one of the earlier cross and/or swastika types with parallel and perpendicular lines, Moushmov 3146...

1.jpg

dlhill132, Parthicus, zumbly and 9 others like this.
  10. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Ok, done. Here are a few things I picked up at the show.

[​IMG]
    Faustina and a peacock
    [​IMG]
    Otacilia

Didn't buy much, got a couple more to go.

dlhill132, Parthicus, stevex6 and 7 others like this.
  11. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I won a book and a coin at auction. These were not my first wins from NYINC auctions, but were my first in person wins!!! What fun. Just made it home and have work tomorrow. I will post more later.

Aes Grave Haeberlin.jpg
    Aes Grave dog wheel Cr24.6a NYINC 1.12.13.jpg

The best item I saw, and there were plenty of great pieces, was a set of ancient Jewish scale weights. The Goldberg folks were nice (foolish) enough to let me see the pieces. Impressive. I would like something like that that was "known" to be from the Roman Republic.
    ancient Jewish scale weights NYINC.jpg

Ancient Judaean Stone Weight Collection. Judean Stone WeiPalinelite Period (Iron Age III, 9th-7th centuries BCE), 14 weights, and Herodian Period (1st-2nd centuries CE) 2 weights. Includes the following: Libra: 116.53g, no inscription; 3/10 Libra: 83.4g, with inscription; 8 Shekel: 91.35g. with inscription; 4 Shekel: 43.3 9.4g. with inscription; 2 Shekel: 22.7g, with inscription; 1 Shekel: 11.0g. with inscription; 1 Nezef (5/6 Shekel): 9.4g (2 pieces, each with inscription); 1 Pim (2/3 Shekel): 8.4g with inscription;1 Beka (½ Shekel): 5.4g.(2 pieces, one with inscription and one without); 8 Gerah: 4.3g. with inscription; 7 Gerah: 4.1g. with inscription; 6 Gerah: 3.0g. with inscription; 5 Gerah. 2.9g. with inscription; 3 Gerah: 2.0g. with inscription.(16)

dlhill132, Bing, stevex6 and 10 others like this.
  12. Carthago

Congratulations on your winnings! I just got my copy of Haeberlin Aes Grave last month and those plates are a challenge to store. They're HUGE!

Draft saved Draft deleted