NYINC Acquisitions?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gsimonel, Jan 15, 2017.

1. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Here's a quick and dirty photograph of a new Constantine that I picked up at the New York International Numismatic Convention (NYINC) yesterday. Among all the $120 aEF campgates I was able to find this in a $30 pick bin:
    Constantine.jpg
    It's a VICTORIA AVGGNN reverse--scarce, but not too difficult to find--but with a left-facing obverse, the first I've seen. Rough, but I'm still very please to have discovered it. Here's the data:

AE Nummis
    Thessalonica mint, A.D. 319
    RIC 60, var. [No dot before mint mark]
    Obv: CONSTAN-TINVS AVG - Constantine facing left, holding spear over right shoulder. [Sword handle from sword held in left hand sticking up in front? This is a controversial interpretation.]
    Rev: VICTORI-A AVGG NN - Victory advancing left with wreath and palm branch
    TS[dot]Γ[dot] in exergue
    18 mm, 3.0 g.

Anyone else pick up anything interesting?

Also, did it seem like there were a lot more Russian-speaking attendees this year? I got the impressions prices were a lot higher this year than last. Perhaps it's just my imagination, but I wonder if increased demand from Eastern Europe pushing up prices for ancients?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes. I got myself a Widow's Mite. I saw many amazing ancient coins but most all out of my budget. But it was great to see so many types.. Gold ancients were lovely!
    20170114_122423.jpg

4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Nice additions guys. I did not attend so can't post my acquisitions.

paschka likes this.
  5. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

I picked up a Hadrian's travels denarius at NYINC, for a set my wife is starting. It is the first of this type that I've had. They make an attractive collection.

There was one dealer with a high quality Hadrian's travel denarius set put together by a discerning collector, but the dealer had it on consignment and only wanted to sell it complete. That was well beyond my budget and buying the set all at once would take away the fun from the hunt.

I collect a small subset of British Anglo-Saxon coins, which I did not expect to find at the show. I did however have the pleasure of finding a few collectors of the same material (they are probably rarer than the coins themselves!) and got to discuss our common interest over lunch.

green18, icerain, TIF and 3 others like this.
  6. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I like your style. I was not at the show, someday.....
    I posted this one on WW almost a decade ago.
    lr075.jpg
    Constantine I
    Thessalonica mint
    319 AD
    AE Follis
    Obvs: CONSTANTINVS AVG, Bust left cuir. spear across right shoulder.
    Revs: VICTORIA AVGG NN, Victory advancing left, holding wreath and palm branch. TSΔ
    18mm, 2.6g

I have not see the left hand attribution before.

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I drove into Manhattan from Lancaster PA last year, but it was pretty expensive and stressful, $75 in tolls and $85 to park for the day. I could have saved some on the parking by not using the hotel's valet, but I just didn't want to deal with driving around NY City more than I had to.

This year I decided to take the train and even though it worked out to roughly the same expense-wise, it was much less stressful. Equipping my man-purse with tuna fish sandwiches, trail mix (I'm a healthy snack commie), and a couple volumes of Museum Notes for a little light reading (girls love it when you whip out your Museum Notes)...

briefcase.jpg

The Lancaster train station in the dead of night...

station.jpg
    The Waldorf is a classy joint, I'm surprised they let me in. I managed to snap this one pic of the Starlight Roof before security tased me...

bourse 1.jpg

Charles Richey showed me a tray of Athenian owl tets but I was very skeptical - I can never find what I want from these coins (in VF) at a fair price...

owls.jpg

So what do I want? Basically everything. I want good centering on a regular flan. Athena's face can't be crowded against the right edge of the obverse, and she has to be rendered in a good, classical style, feminine and not goofy-looking. (She's surprisingly goofy-looking more often than you'd expect.) I need all three letters on the reverse, and most (if not all) of the olive sprig, some decent feather detail in the owl, and no test cuts! I realize the test cuts are frequent and a part of the commercial history of these coins, but I just don't like them, call me vapid. Some light scratches are ok, as long as they're in the fields and not distracting. Also, the coin can't be overcleaned - it can't be shiny, it needs a little bit of the ancient dirt.

And it all has to come in under $500, lol. Good luck, right? Well, I'm pleasantly surprised to say I came across exactly just such a coin from Charles' selection. :)

athens tet 700.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    dlhill132, rg3, FitzNigel and 26 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Love the report!

John Anthony likes this.
  9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Good job! That's a beautiful and enviable coin.

John Anthony likes this.
  10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice score for the price. About what I would pay for one, even with those scratches.

11. John Anthony

I actually found the Otacilia tet you wanted, but the dealer would not budge from a pie-in-the-sky price. It was quite frustrating, but like I said before, at $2000 rent per table per day, it's tough to get deals at NYINC.

Alegandron, Nicholas Molinari and Mat like this.
  12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

TIF likes this.
  13. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Figures, thanks for trying though!

14. John Anthony

I couldn't resist this sestertius of Gordian III with a forest-green and ochre patina - just a gorgeous big coin...

gordian ses 7.jpg

dlhill132, Alegandron, Bing and 11 others like this.
  15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

John, that's a gorgeous coin!

John Anthony likes this.
  16. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

This is my #1 from Triton. I had to get into a veritable bidding knife fight with a well funded and determined Russian...but USA #1! :p

Lucius Axius L.f. Naso. 70 BC. AR Denarius (19mm, 4.02 g, 6h). Rome mint. Head of young beardless Mars right, wearing helmet ornamented with plumes; downward to left; NAS[O] below head; S • C below chin / Diana, holding spear in right hand and reins in left, driving biga of stags right; two hounds following behind, additional hound below stags; L • AXSIVS • L • F in exergue. Crawford 400/1a; Sydenham 794; Axia 1; Kestner –8; BMCRR Rome 3348-53; RBW 1441.

Ex Haeberlin & HP Hall

Lucius Axius Lf Naso 400-1a NAC 2017.jpg

17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

U.S.A...U.S.A...U.S.A...

Very cool!

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  18. John Anthony

FANTASTIC! :wideyed:

It's sad, what the Russians are doing to this country! :p

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Those pesky Russians! Glad you prevailed.

This coin made my wish list (dream on!!), in part for a completely non-numismatic and unscholarly reason: Mars's helmet looks like a nudibranch, and those whimsical Seussian sea slugs are adorable :). I'm pretty sure those aren't plumes in his hat... they're rhinophores :D

CT-NudibranchRepublican.jpg
    (all nudibranch images borrowed from divewet.com, © Alex Suh)

20. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

I think I've seen this set -- was this Mike Gasvoda's set of Hadrian travel denarii?

21. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Great stories and pictures, please keep them coming!

Draft saved Draft deleted