Numistamp "bullion" bars

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by GeorgeM, May 25, 2014.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

I found a few unusual 1 ounce bars at the TNA show last weekend. The set I found is stamped "Numistamp 1975 Mort Reed". Each bar shows a different coin, and appears to be either made of the same alloy (or dipped in something to simulate the metal content), and they have a serial number on the back.

I'm not finding much about these online though - anyone know if they're worth anything? Mine look quite a bit like the ones in this thread:
    http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=91671

I have the Silver 3 Cent Piece, Buffalo Nickel, 20 Cent Piece, Heraldic Eagle Half Dollar, and 1860's Quarter Dollar. Apparently there was one of these bars made for each type coin that the US mint had produced up until the 1970s.

What would you say these are worth?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

GeorgeM likes this.
  4. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I've owned these in the past and believe they are base metal and have never sold them for any real money. Perhaps you might net a few dollars each.

GeorgeM likes this.
  5. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I believe they were struck in pewter.

GeorgeM likes this.
  6. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

I wonder. Did they give them a finishing dip to simulate the composition of the coin they commemorate? Because while the nickel has a very flat, pewter like finish, the 20 cent piece has a definite silver tone. The back side of each piece seems to have less of that coloration though, which makes me suspect base metal cores.

7. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I don't remember. I remember seeing ads for them in CoinWorld around 1974. There was quite an art bar craze going on then. People were even writing letters to the editor complaining about all the art bar ads.

8. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I saw an episode of Pawn Stars about art bars. They only pay spot for them.

9. RayR

RayR New Member

I worked at the company that made Numistamps for Mort Reed. The bas material was either copper or bronze. The pieces were then finished or plated to simulated the same look that was produced on the original coins that they emulated.

brg5658 and longnine009 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted