Numismatik Naumann Auctions

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Jan 31, 2019.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Anyone ever dealt with them? Grading standards? I just looked on their upcoming auction, and saw a few items of interest.....
    John

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

A large number of my coins are from them. No problems. Shipping time has been adversely affected by their relocation to Austria but they do the best they can with the export paperwork mess.

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

As for grading standards... don't know, don't care, not relevant. As usual, the coins generally look better than the images.

Nerva, Carthago, BenSi and 2 others like this.
  5. panzerman

Thanks so much:happy:
    I will definately try them out!

John

6. ShannaS

ShannaS Active Member

I've worked with Naumann (as a dealer) for a long time. Everything has gone fine with them aside from longer waiting times for delivery due to export procedures. Grading I agree with TIF....who cares. Usually prices are pretty low and the coins are pretty true to the photos if not much better. I may start to sit out their auctions though because of a rather silly reason but nonetheless an issue. When I wire money to them I pay the fees for wire but then due to new banking laws in Europe their bank takes more money which usually brings me up short. They aren't addressing the issue and instead are complaining that my wires are short. It is to the point now that I will likely not buy from them anymore because of their inability to properly address the issue. Others probably have the same issue but I was buying regularly from them for clients. Customer service is lacking in my opinion.

7. panzerman

I have solved that problem. I now send all auction houses a bank cheque. This saves me $45 fee for wire, also the banks on other side do not short change me for draft. Way easier/ cheaper to avoid wires.

Kasia and Paul M. like this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Would using Transferwise circumvent this problem? I've been using them lately and it saves a lot of money and is very easy once you get it set up. Too easy... now I no longer have the "difficult to pay" obstacle :D.

Carthago, Nvb, Paul M. and 4 others like this.
  9. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I agree coins are usually better than photos, but have never had them worst. They had a run of Persian Type I siglos for a while and I got mine there.

10. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

They have an AV double daric in their currect auction which looks ultra-suspicious to me.

AncientJoe and TIF like this.
  11. IanC

IanC Numismatist

I believe I've only bought one item from them, but I had no problems.

panzerman likes this.
  12. panzerman

Its at 22000 Euros current bid, I am sure it will go much higher.....

IanC likes this.
  13. IanC

IanC Numismatist

A lot of dealers like that often sell rare, expensive coins, so I don't believe it's a fake or anything to be suspicious about. If you saw that on eBay, maybe a different story.

panzerman likes this.
  14. panzerman

Exactly! Fakes coins are the domain of e-bay. Auction firms would not ruin their good reputation by allowing a bogus coin to remain in their auction. This is why Kunker/ CNG/ Stacks/ Morton&Eden/ etc. have such good reviews. But, there are honest, great sellers on e-bay/ the Chinese/ other bad apples are like a bad virus thats infected e-bay.

IanC likes this.
  15. IanC

IanC Numismatist

I do know a lot of legitimate dealers who sell on eBay, but there are a lot of scams. Plus, I know I bought a coin a few weeks ago from David Lawrence. I saw the same coin on eBay (being sold by them) for significantly more, probably to pay for the selling fee.

Paul M. and panzerman like this.
  16. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I tend not to buy from them because they refuse to send via anything other than FedEx, which causes problems coming to Canada.

17. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I also use transferwise. Their rates are pretty decent. Also, wen someone first joins, the first $500 sent has no fee attached to it (and the inviting member gets a little cash for the new member). ;)

TIF likes this.
  18. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I would not go that far at ALL. Every major dealer has sold fakes, guaranteed. I have had a major dealer sell me a coin, I posted it here and was proven it was a fake. A good dealer like that will accept returns of fakes, but to say fakes are only on Ebay and never on major auction sites is demonstrably false sir.

19. panzerman

I have had same problem. I fixed it, I basically told them I wanted coins sent via "neutral" registered letter. Everyone complied with my request.:happy: They wanted my business!
    John

Seattlite86 likes this.
  20. tartanhill

tartanhill Well-Known Member

I have bought several coins from them with no problems. However, my last purchase from them was a group lot of 18 coins which contained two cast twins. I contacted them and they quickly recognized their error. Since I still intend to bid in their auctions, we settled with my receiving credit toward future purchases.

panzerman likes this.
  21. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

Sorry for the off-topic but I see a turret instead of a kidaris, there is a laughable un-evenly dotted border for the kandys and the incuse punch is also strange.

IanC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted