Numismatik Lanz - Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nemo, May 21, 2019.

1. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Yes, take this to paypal @Nemo ! I wish the best! What a horror story!

Nicholas Molinari and Nemo like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I have mentioned how I was screwed by him a few times.

I don’t care what coins he has that wet my appetite, not worth it.

You were warned about that old dog having a mean bite from others here, guess you had to get bit yourself.

Hope you get the rest of the money. That’s almost a half a years budget for me.

Nemo likes this.
  4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Here's one @red_spork shared on this forum, and some of the old timers will be familiar with. Lanz calls it restoration, I call it fraud...

Before:

beforetooling.jpg

After:

aftertooling.jpg

Again, why would you want to buy from this person who is singlehandedly destroying hundreds of coins and peddling hundreds of fakes?

5. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

What a mess.

I did buy a number of coins from his ebay store a couple years ago. Most of the transactions were smooth and painless, until he sent me a cull instead of the VF Elagabalus antoninianus I had won. He accepted the return, then blocked me from bidding. I've since patronized other stores.

Kasia, TypeCoin971793 and Nemo like this.
  6. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

This is a disgrace. Did anyone notice that he skipped his floor auction of December 2018 and June 2019? This is because he is channelling his crap to another auction house. If you take a look at his webpage it won't be hard to guess with whom he cooperates

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If he told you that that is the end of the story for eBay. All you have to do is show he offered a return and just stop communicating.

And many of those that do pay dearly through infections, amputations, and loss of life.

Nicholas Molinari and Nemo like this.
  8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I would open a case with eBay. You should get a full refund for the coin.

Okidoki and Nemo like this.
  9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Ouch.

Duly noted. Thanks for the cautionary tale.

Nemo likes this.
  10. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Ouch. I thought about getting these two from him, which would otherwise be exactly my cup of tea color-wise:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-22 um 11.26.14.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-22 um 11.26.03.png

But after reading this thread (and before spending big Euros) I am not so sure about the originality of the portraits anymore. What do you think?

11. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind (and honest) words. I remember Lanz's comment on tooling being good for bronzes. I foolishly thought if I stayed away from bronze with him, I would be okay. Of course, dishonest dealer = dishonest coins.

I thought it was too old of a case for Ebay or Paypal but I suppose it's worth a try.

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Okidoki and Nemo like this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I think we are missing the point. It makes no difference whether the coin is good or bad. When you lie with dogs, you deserve fleas. Why do you insist on paying for his (grand)kids' education? ...so they can take over the family business? No dealer ever starved to death because I don't buy from him but when one of the wrong kind goes out of business, I can still pat myself on the back for a job well done. This hobby has a great number of fine people who act in the best interest of us all. Seek them out. Buy coins from them. Enable them to afford good medical care.

14. Lolli

Lolli Active Member

If Dr. Lanz comes to the conclusion the coin is fake other then first expected when it slipped through his hand or through the hands of his employees at auction or ebay the coin will be withdrawn and full money will be refunded.

If a dealer or auction house is rejecting to many coins the consignor will look for another dealer or auction house to sell them, so they will only withdraw proven fake coins!

In this case Dr. Lanz doesn´t seem to be convinced that the coin is fake but he was still so kind to offer you as customer service to resell it for you without charging any costs for it, that is very kind!

Dr. Lanz doesn´t care for the opinions of others like many experts he only cares for arguments.

It seems like Barry Murphy has some arguments against authenticity, maybe Dr. Lanz will change his mind if someone will send him this arguments more detailed and then, if this arguemtns are actually valid, not only nemo will most likely get his full money refunded the new buyer of the coin will be most likely refunded, too. But this here is very onesided bashing without giving Lanz the opportunity to tell his point of view and why he thinks the coin must be authentic (I guess he has some arguments too). And maybe Lanz´s arguents will be even more convincing.

I am not convinced that ebay will refund any money, would be very surprizing, Dr. Lanz is a power seller there and ebay is earning much money through him and Dr. Lanz himself is a respected coin Expert with an own auction house with many years experience and many sold coins through ebay and his auctions.
    If ebay would evaluate the opinion of NGC higher than the opinion of Dr. Lanz, it would be very humilitating and insulting for Dr. Lanz and Dr. Lanz would not be amused. And Ebay is not qualified to judge if NGC or Dr. Lanz is right, they do not have numismatic experts in their team.

15. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

You are protected by paypal if « You received a counterfeit version of the item ». Up to 180 days after you bought the item !

Roman Collector likes this.
  16. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

Hubert, is that you? Why don't you tell us what are you a Dr in? Do you have a PhD in numismatics or archaeology?

Kasia, Theodosius and Barry Murphy like this.
  17. RichardT

RichardT Well-Known Member

I think that was uncalled for, pprp. As in, insinuating that Lolli is Dr Lanz, and therefore resorting to an anonymous account to defend himself.

Lolli has provided his input on the authenticity of other coins on this board. I hope he continues to do so.

Pellinore likes this.
  18. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

If he is not then you can take it as a joke. However I don't get why Barry Murphy is not at least a Mr in his post while Hubert Lanz is repeatedly a Doctor.

19. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

Julius,

Your coins don't look tooled.

Barry Murphy

Pellinore and Julius Germanicus like this.
  20. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

As for the academic title, using that is more common in Germany and Austria than in the US for example. So if I wrote or talked to Dr. Hubert Lanz, I would usually say "Herr Dr. Lanz". Now in journalism, or when you write a book, that is a little different. See his portrait here for example. (Note that the article is not new; Lanz is not president of the FENAP these days.)

Christian

21. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

From your link above: Hubert Lanz, however, chose numismatics only after a university degree in engineering.

Seriously, does anyone know if he has a PhD and if so on which area? And he is obviously not a medical doctor either.

Draft saved Draft deleted