Numismatics Chat

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Mar 16, 2020.

1. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

As I was wandering around Twitter (for professional reasons believe it or not), I stumbled upon a twitter handle by Amelia Dowler (curator of Greek and Roman Provincial coins at the British Museum) which appears to be hosting weekly discussions about numismatics Tuesdays from 5-6pm GMT (12pm Eastern)

tomorrow is the first one I believe - looks like it may be something interesting. The Twitter Handle is @NumisChat

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Can’t stand twitter but love your icon.:D

4. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I don’t blame you, as much of Twitter is a ridiculous cesspool - however, many academics (particularly medievalists) use it as a platform for discussion and to share ideas. Unfortunately they also tend to share politics, so you have to take the good with the bad, and seek out the good.

for example, two days ago someone was live-tweeting the events of Caesar’s assassination in real time as it would have happened (to the best of their knowledge of course). It’s interesting to actually feel the time difference rather than just intellectually know it

Ryro and Theodosius like this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

That is one of the many reasons I stay off all social media. It used to be that two people could discuss politics without the one ragging on the other. Now with the anonymity of the internet, people feel like they can say things they would never say in person. Besides, my Momma used to tell me to steer clear of discussing politics and religion.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted