Numismatica Ars Auction 114

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by greekandromancoins, May 21, 2019.

1. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Just received my shipping tracking info today. I won this quinarius, a common variety with unbound hair and helmet wing pointing downward. I did not have this quinarius variety and it fills out my Denarius/Quinarius/Sestertius set for this variety. Will post a group shot once I receive the coin.
    44-6-A1cc.jpg
    This coin hammered for 600 CHF in the Feb 2008 Tkalek sale of fabulous RR coins. I couldn't pass it up for 275 CHF this time.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Aidan, Two really great examples. I considered bidding on the 61/1. It is a scarce and interesting variety that rarely comes in high grade. Congratulations.

red_spork and akeady like this.
  4. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Thanks, Steve.

Great quinarius bargain for you, too.

ATB,
    Aidan.

5. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Amazing (out of my league) coins! Thanks for sharing the pictures everyone.

6. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

That aureus is just gorgeous - no other word for it. Nero's coins have always been my favorite. I read once ,a very long time ago, that he was a coin collector himself. I don't know how true it is, but given his artistic proclivities, it seems a reasonable assertion.

7. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

That's a bargain and a great example. I also noticed that coin, but didn't bid on anything in this sale. Saving my powder for other opportunities.

rrdenarius likes this.
  8. Carthago

Congrats on your 2 new coins, Aiden. The anonymous Victory and wreath is really pretty scarce, as I'm sure you already know. Well done.

akeady likes this.
  9. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Just got my photograph of my Nero that I got from NAC 114 It is closer to how it looks neroav2.jpg I am up at this ungodly hour340 AM Mountain Time monitoring the Leu Sale

10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

11. Terence Cheesman

Basically a wasted night. The coins I wanted from Leu went a bit too strong and I am still hurting from the NAC 114 sale

12. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Remember, the hunt never really ends!

13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

And, as I always say, the hunt is a large part of the fun.

Carthago likes this.
  14. Terence Cheesman

It is but it is a lot more fun throwing a bid in and watching it hold watching the going... going... gone and then the realization that I had won the coin. But this 3 AM thing I dunno

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  15. Terence Cheesman

I had hoped to have my pictures ready for my other wins in NAC 114 but... it is not to be Okay my other 4 wins
    1.Postumius Albinus Denarius Cr 372/2
    2. L. Cassius Longinus Denarius Cr 413/1
    3. M. Fonteius Denarius Cr 429/1
    4. M. Junius Brutus Denarius Cr 506/2 372-a.jpg 413-a.jpg 429-a.jpg 506-c.jpg

16. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

I was underbidder on several lots illustrated in this thread. Meaning several people now own coins that were destined for the McCabe collection. You have good tastes.

Carthago likes this.
  17. Carthago

Your new Brutus was part of my consignment in NAC 114. An exceptional coin that you will be very pleased with if you haven't already seen it in hand. I would have never sold it if I didn't happen to exchange it out for this one with a 1902 provenance.

Brutus and Pedanius Costa Trophy 506-2 Nomisma.jpg

Adolf Hess Lucern and Gilhofer & Ranschburg Vienna, Franz Trau Collection, Aucton in Vienna, May 22, 1935 lot 36

Jacob Hirsch Auction 7, June 2, 1902 Lot 1047

18. Terence Cheesman

Don't feel too bad Andrew. I was beaten like a drum throughout the Greek section and I tried to get a few of the early Republican coins with similar results. Lot 431 was the first coin I won and I think part of my bidding on this coin was due to frustration which is never a good idea when bidding for a coin. And yes Carthago I got the denarius of Brutus and am really pleased with it.

Carthago likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted