Numismatic Verbiage

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Randy Abercrombie, Aug 1, 2020.

1. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Tentacles go better with denticles.

tommyc03 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I was just waiting for someone to make a comment about their "testils", since nobody will want to use a diminuitive form after reading this... :rolleyes:

4. Rhody

Rhody Member

denticle,then dentil, then dentissimo

Spark1951 and -jeffB like this.
  5. KarlB

KarlB Active Member

Hmmm, something to chew on...

-jeffB and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  6. johnyb

johnyb Member

I've collected in Australia since 1957 and ,until today, had only read/heard " denticles".

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I prefer "dentils" because it is shorter to type and to say and because "denticles" sounds pretentious to my ear for no reason other than my personal prejudices. But I accept both as correct.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You apparently realize it but not sure some others do. When you trace the word dentil to its Latin root, denticle is the diminutive form. In other words, denticle has been nothing more than a small dentil for a couple of thousand years now.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And for some reason I just have to be different. I always called them denticals. Which apparently isn't even a word.

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

True, but I guess the pronunciation would be identical. ;)

11. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Occasionally I see the word "dentilated" used in the following fashion: "The coin's obverse rim is dentilated whereas the reverse's rim is plain.

You will find "dentilated" and "dentilled" in dictionaries as accepted usages but I don't find "denticled" or "denticlated" listed at all.

Not that any of this matters - use whatever you please. English is a very malleable language that changes all the time.

12. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

...both dentil and denticle are listed at dictionary.com...Spark

13. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Happy to see the minutia of formulaic grammar are critically important discussions on this forum. becky.gif

I am beginning to feel right at home, and thanks for the welcome @GenX Enthusiast . He is the preeminent forum Forensic Grammatician from what I've been told . . . . . .

Z

Draft saved Draft deleted