Numismatic Verbiage

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Randy Abercrombie, Aug 1, 2020.

  1. Randy Abercrombie

    Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

    Denticles... Or dentils..... Which is correct?

    Robert Ransom and Inspector43 like this.
  2. Avatar

    Guest User Guest

    to hide this ad.
  3. John Conduitt

    John Conduitt Well-Known Member

    Both mean 'toothlike', but a dentil is more to do with architecture.
  4. alurid

    alurid Well-Known Member

    Denticles is what i have always used.
  5. kanga

    kanga 65 Year Collector Supporter

    Dentils is what I see/read mostly -- by a bunch.
    Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. Inspector43

    Inspector43 72 Year Collector

    - small tooth like raised areas around the edge of a coin. Particularly on older coins. Often found all around the front (obverse) and back (reverse) of the coin, right next to the edge.
  7. Cachecoins

    Cachecoins Historia Moneta

    I have always thought it was denticles.
    spirityoda and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

    Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

    I have always used denticles but I have seen some of the more numismatically educated posters here use dentils. I suppose the terms may be somewhat interchangeable among folks that talk coins.

    GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

    They are, always have been. Ya see, when ya get right down to it, a denticle is nothing more than a small dentil.
    ZoidMeister, KarlB, Spark1951 and 3 others like this.
  10. physics-fan3.14

    physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes? Supporter

    I personally usually use "dentils," but the terms are essentially interchangeable.
    Spark1951 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  11. medoraman

    medoraman Supporter! Supporter

    Nothing to add, I have always heard both used and most know either can be used to describe what you mean. Maybe its a geographic thing, uptight Northerners are all "they are denticles", while southerners are, "they're dentils ya'all!". :)
    Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  12. -jeffB

    -jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

    Something something "everything's bigger in Texas"...
    Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  13. CaptHenway

    CaptHenway Survivor

    I use denticles.
    Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  14. UncleScroge

    UncleScroge Active Member

    I think that the people who use Facebook, Twitter, and the like, use dentils rather than denticles because it's less typing/keystrokes. Just my opinion.
    Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  15. toned_morgan

    toned_morgan Toning Lover

    Yeah I use denticles. I've never heard someone use dentils before.
  16. Spark1951

    Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity Supporter

    dentil= “any of a series of small, rectangular shaped blocks...used under the corona of Ionic, Corinthian and Composite cornices”...(architecture)...paraphrased from

    @GDJMSP and others have the intent of usage right, they get the message across, either one...Spark
  17. Mike Davis

    Mike Davis Active Member

    No matter which you use, a coin collector knows what you are talking about. Are we going to have to become politically correct?
  18. -jeffB

    -jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

    Yes, by all means, let's make "denticles vs. dentils" a political banner. Because heaven knows we don't have enough of those. :rolleyes:
    Mike Davis and Kentucky like this.
  19. Mr.Q

    Mr.Q Well-Known Member

    I like GD's explanation best so why not use both. Thanks GD be safe
  20. Randy Abercrombie

    Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

    Politically correct? I just didn’t want to sound like a dummy when I commented on them.
  21. tommyc03

    tommyc03 Senior Member

    Lentils taste better than dentils.:confused:;)
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page