Numismatic research :)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by seth77, Aug 30, 2016.

1. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Dear friends,

It's been some time since I last posted here but that does not mean I have forgotten this lovely community.
    So although I'm not actively collecting, buying, swapping or selling coins anymore since last December, I have not abandoned the field of Numismatics, quite the contrary I am as active as a researcher as ever.

I open this thread to share with you:

1. my research and numismatic articles that will be available on Academia as I write/translate them into English here and

2. my personal writing project in which I will try to popularize aspects of Late Roman and Medieval history intertwined with numismatic context and considerations on more obscure historical details, so in fewer words, a history blog with focus on how facts and contexts appear from contemporary sources, epigraphic and numismatic sources, here

All best,

A.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice seeing you again!

seth77 likes this.
  4. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Thank you! Hope I'll be of service this way too :)

Alegandron likes this.
  5. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

congrats on being a active member, hope to see some interesting papers

6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to your articles - I hope you post here when they're up.

So did you give up on collecting, taking a break, or something else?

7. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Yes, I'll post them here in this thread. I'll also translate my other numismatic articles in English and hopefully post them in good time too.

danielus likes this.
  8. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Hello everybody :)

If anyone is interested in Late Empire lead sealings, this article discusses a tentative datation and identification of such interesting and very instrumental objects in the roman economy.

Read the article here

All best :)

Mikey Zee, danielus and Alegandron like this.
  9. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Hello all again :)

I've uploaded a new article which deals with the pro-Angevin Barons Revolt in Italy between 1459 and 1464 and how a small unassuming denaro tornese gives us interesting hints about one of the pro-Angevin barons who took arms against King Ferdinand of Naples.

You can read the article here

All best regards!

A.

randygeki likes this.
  10. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Hello,

Here is a new article, on a more speculative note, as the subject matter is rather obscure and under-researched, although very interesting for those interested in understanding the monetary circulation and economy in the late Latin rule of Greece. It is called Jacques des Baux and the denier tournois in Greece in the late 14th century.
    The article synthesizes what is already known and hypothesized about these elusive issues, and a couple of my own speculations regarding them.

I have noticed that not many colleagues are into Medieval and Crusader numismatics but I hope you enjoy reading this paper at least as much I enjoyed writing it :)

Like usual, you can read it here

All best regards :)

randygeki, dadams and Alegandron like this.
  11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I just took a look at your blog. Very interesting. It's easy to tell how much work that's been puy into this. Congrats, and it's good to see you back here my friend.

12. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Thank you :)
    The blog articles I keep as short and clear as possible and their purpose is first and foremost to popularize the interesting and mostly overlooked details that we sometimes get from the primary sources and from the numismatic research. It's the type of material that I would've wanted to read when I started studying the history of the Late Empire and feudal Europe.

The numismatic articles I write for a rather small audience and that is OK. As I see them, they are exercises into rather uncharted numismatic fields with the goal of shining some light and bringing some interest to the more obscure and less discussed numismatic problems.

ancientcoinguru and Theodosius like this.
  13. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Your papers are very detailed. Excellent research! Your I hold a wolf by the ears blog is great! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    seth77 likes this.
  14. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Thank you for following :)

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Don't know how I overlooked your blog before...thought it was pretty interesting. I haven't checked out your papers yet. Have you been collecting at all lately?

16. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

I'm not collecting anymore but still into the research and once in a while I write numismatic articles on different subjects from the Late Empire to the Western European middle ages. Thanks! :)

17. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

I know nothing about this time period in history, but always appreciate a fine researched article with thought provoking details, references and a bibliography.
    [can you tell I am a librarian?;)]

18. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Greece in the later part of the 14th century was a rather chaotic and dangerous place to be for lords and commoners alike. Because of that, coin circulation and the local economy were often interrupted by strife under Byzantine and Turkish encroachment. By that time the once successful and rich Frankish realms of the 13th century had devolved into lawlessness and bad administration.

ancientcoinguru likes this.
  19. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Dear friends,

I've written and uploaded another article.

This one is called: "Theodore Mankaphas or Theodore Branas?" and deals with a controversy that numismatists interested in both Byzantine numismatics and Latin Empire numismatics are considering since the 1970s: the "Mankaphas trachy".

I have outlined in this article what we know so far about the attribution of this issue and why I think the Branas hypothesis, although unconventional, should not be hastily discarded.

You can read or download the article, as usual, from my academia page, here

I suggest downloading for a better resolution and easier reading.

All best :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    Ajax, Alegandron and randygeki like this.
  20. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks for posting these

21. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Glad they are of service. My hope is that these articles reach collectors and numismatists and maybe even inspire them to branch out to areas outside their comfort zone. God knows there's need for interested parties in the study of late Latin Greece tournois for instance. Or the early Byzantine Imperial bullae :)

Alegandron and randygeki like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted