Numismatic related museums?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Rushmore, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

So what Numismatic related museums have you been to? It can be an official government mint or actual museum.

As for myself I visited the Royal Canadian Mint in 2013 and the Royal Coin Cabinet in Stockholm Sweden last year

In 2007 I planned to visit the US Mint in Denver but found out a few days before my trip to Denver I had to make an advance reservation and space filled up quickly, so I missed out.

Last year when I was in Reykjavik I wanted to visit the Central Bank and Museum but I arrived in Iceland on Sat and it was closed until Monday when I flew home back to the states.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Smithsonian has the best collection of cleaned coins I have ever seen!

mac266, thetracer and medjoy like this.
  4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I enjoyed the New Orleans mint.

There was a book recently published "The Numismatourist," that talks about all of the significant numismatic museums in the world. It is an interesting reference, and a must if you are planning a trip anytime soon.

thetracer likes this.
  5. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Forgot to add it was the Winnipeg location I visited.

6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Mel Fisher treasure museum in Key west
    Smithsonian also is a nice tour.

7. thetracer

thetracer Active Member

Mel Fisher dilled a couple of his relatives to get rich.

8. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

The American Numismatic Association is headquartered in Colorado Springs, about an hour south of Denver. Their museum is fantastic and free to members. There is a small admission fee ($5 I think) for non-members.

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

In terms of mints, I have been to Utrecht (open mint day), Philadelphia (self guided tour), and Madrid (mint museum). Also, the mint in Berlin has a relatively small exhibition area - not thrilling but if you are nearby anyway, say, for the collection at the Bode Museum ... :)

The Deutsche Bundesbank's Money Museum in Frankfurt has a fabulous collection too. Parts can be seen by just walking in, for others you need to make an appointment. (But the museum is closed until the end of the year.) Have also visited a few museums that have coin collections. The book that physics-fan3.14 mentioned comes with a website by the way: http://www.numismatourist.com/works.htm

Christian

10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Nevada State Museum at the old Carson City Mint building as well as the silver mines of Virginia City which I consider to br the original "natural" numismatic museums of the United States :)

11. kolhoznik

kolhoznik Member

The Casa de Moneda in Bogota, Colombia has a very nice museum. Filled with all the old presses and coins.

12. Greyford

Greyford Senior Member

13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

No Mel's son and daughter in law were killed when their boat blew a sea cock valve and the boat sank. They were sleeping , became trapped in the vessel and went down with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted