Numismatic Photography by Mark Goodman

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kanga, Jul 29, 2008.

1. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Anyone got Numismatic Photography by Mark Goodman yet?
    I'm going to check at the ANA show this week.
    Like to see if I can get one at a discount.
    Actually full price wouldn't be bad since I wouldn't have to pay shipping.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I have flipped through a copy but I don't own a copy. (There were none available at the time.) I plan to buy one when it is available.

Arizona Jack has a copy.

4. Smaugy

Smaugy Peg Leg Surfing

Actually I got my copy directly from Mark Goodman (selling them on Collectors Universe) for $22 total (no shipping cost). Signed by him and shipped to me. Nice book and really nice photos. Now if it will help me to improve....

Smaugy

5. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

Just came in the mail for me.

I am not a professional photographer, and his book is perfect for me. He explains all the things I hear everyone talk about...f-stop, iso, etc. The first couple of chapters are a great intro. He explains things I didn't even know about (mirror-lock on my slr for instance...who knew???)

He also discusses the various methods to take pictures of different kinds of coins, from low contrast to high contrast. His discussion of lighting is great. He has tons of full color photos demonstrating different effects on the same coin side by side. I have really learned alot from my short read.

My only criticism is the book looks more like a thick magazine and I'm afraid it won't last too long if used like one of my normal reference books. So I'll have to treat it nicely.

Worth the price imo.

6. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

From the information I read several months ago the book was supposed to be spiral-bound. I think the book would have been better in that format.

7. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

I agree on the print format, it was a bit smaller and " thinner " than I expected, but for content it is tops !!!

I will be playing with my new camera and some lighting soon I hope !!

8. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Jack,

You bought a new camera? What did you get?

9. thedjsavage

thedjsavage Senior Member

You guys should post your results/trials in photography in the forum now that you've got this book. I'd be interested to see the quality of pics that are possible.

10. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

I just received my "autographed" copy of Mark's new book.
    In just flipping through the pages it looks like it has a lot of good stuff inside with some great coin photos !!
    Now for me to find some time to study it and see if I can improve my photos. Hopefully I won't have to upgrade my camera from a fairly simple digital Canon Powershot SD300 Elph to upgrade my photo skills. All my SLR Cameras are film type cameras which for the most part useless:(

11. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I did get my copy of the book at the Baltimore ANA show.

Without buying more equipment, I hope I can improve what I've been doing.
    I've got two OTT-LITE's so I think my lighting situation will be the least of my problems.
    I've got a simple camera stand, so I think I'm okay there.
    I can cut up plastic milk cartons to use a diffusion filters.

My current weakness is my camera.
    It's only a 3 Mpixel digital which is below the resolution recommended in the book.
    I have a remote shutter control, so I've eliminated vibrations.
    I can get pretty good general images, but really lose it at the macro end.

What will save me in my wife's new camera.
    It's a 12 Mpixel digital SLR.
    I can't start learning it until after her trip. If I messed it up before that I'd better find a place to hide.
    So maybe late Sept I'll start trying it out.

12. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

Kanga ... sounds as though with wife's new camera you will have NO EXCUSES for not improving your numismatic photograpghy :)

13. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I finally got my copy of this book today at ANA. Finally! I've been waiting for this book for over 6 months.

14. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

I finally got a copy too - I have to say that there is an awesome amount of info .

I spent most of my afternoon today taking pictures. With our copy stand, using some of the different bulbs along with different angles Id say that our pictures will improve dramatically in the next few weeks.

A great book -Kudos to Mark :bow:

15. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

At the moment the biggest help I'm getting from his book is techniques used to image coins with various surface characteristics.
    I need to work on proof and proof-like coins.
    They are tough to image.

Draft saved Draft deleted