Numismatic News Subs Getting Confusing

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tommyc03, Feb 11, 2020.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I let my sub expire last year because the paper had gone downhill. More ads than substantial news. I get a notice in the mail for a year for $44.99. I get a free sample in the mail trying to get me to come back at $32.00 a year. I go to their site and it's $29.99 per year but only if you use automatic renewal to your credit card. It's all gotten a bit confusing. I think I'm better off paying by check for $32.00 a year to avoid the credit card hassle. I'll admit I still like it to some degree. Or should I just subscribe to Coin World? I'll miss the back page ads though which I buy from on occasion. What say you?

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I quit subscribing to, both, CW & NN in 2008. Does anyone know if Coin World still comes with the monthly magazine, Coin Values? ~ Chris

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

Can't help with the questions as I let my subs expire years ago and have not re-upped. Have been thinking about getting into it again though, so am quite interested to what others will have to say on this matter.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

IMO Coin World has minimal value to the average collector.
    And I'm a subscriber.
    There is very little for the beginning collector and not much more for the average collector.
    Lots of articles for collectors with deeper pockets ... assuming they want to see how much a premium item sold for.
    Coin World is not educating the collectors of the future.
    IMO it's a good example of what's wrong with the hobby and support for those who think (correctly) that the hobby is losing interested people.

Chuck_A and Inspector43 like this.
  6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Yes it does, and that's about 90% of its value to collectors.

7. cpm9ball

Just curious. Thanks! ~ Chris

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Chris, img493.jpg here is the latest mailer I got from them back in December. And yes they still have the coin values section and it's been expanded.

9. cpm9ball

I remember the "Coin Values" section inside CW, but they also issued a separate magazine called "Coin Values". ~ Chris

10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Not to sure yet about that magazine. No luck yet finding it.

11. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I quit CW a couple of years ago. They are more interested is advertisers than collectors. I challenged them about the ads for "First Strike", "First Release" and some other false stuff and why they allow such in their paper - knowing that it is only a gimmick to make money. They justify the false information to keep ads coming in. Doesn't work for me.

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Go to the library if I wanna read it.........

Inspector43 likes this.
  13. Inspector43

Following is what I got back from Coin World when I question the First Strike and First Release attributes:

"We have written a number of stories on the subject. It may be time to do another. The Early Release and First Strike designations are a marketing tool. Like I said in my previous response, NGC and PCGS reserve those designations for coins shipped out of the West Point Mint within the first 30 days of release. There’s no way of knowing whether the coin is the first struck off a pair of dies or the 1,500th or 2,000th, for that matter, depending on die life. The West Point Mint ships the coins to the U.S. Mint’s contracted order fulfillment center in Memphis, and it’s from there the coins are shipped to the customers who ordered them."

Santinidollar and Heavymetal like this.
  14. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Less than the full truth from the government? Say it ain’t so

15. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I just received an offer for $15 for 1 year including two Frank Church quarters. I'm guessing the readership has fallen off quite a bit to offer. It at that price.

16. Inspector43

I don't think the US Mint promotes these, but, I may be wrong. It is a gimmick that starts with unaware collectors and unscrupulous dealers. The TPG's are major scam artists when it comes to inventing attributes and labels. Plus a lot of macho - I got mine before you did. A week later it doesn't mean anything.

halfcent1793 likes this.
  17. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I dropped NN about 9 or 10 years ago. Too many problems with postal delivery. I prefer the print edition. I get the Numismatist cuz I'm a ANA member and that's it.

18. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

I used to subscribe to NN until a couple of years ago. My sub ran
    through Sept. 2019. They quit sending the paper Mar. 2019. I called
    and E-mailed and got nothing. I still subscribe to CW. Continuous
    sub since 1973. Once a month they send the thick mag. in a Blue
    Bag. David Vagi has an enjoyable and informative article each month
    in the monthly. I enjoyed NN and still enjoy CW. Krause also issued
    a monthly paper about World coins. Don Dool always had a well
    written article in it. Met him at a CICF show in Chicago several years
    ago. Friendly and very Knowledgeable. He has a collection of
    Early Dated (pre 1500 A.D.) dated copper coins. I sure would like to
    add those to my collection.

cpm9ball likes this.
  19. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

I like the commentary by the guy who writes in NN Coin Market. He appears to have a good understanding of the situation with the market. A real market analyst not some rich millionaire dealer out sell their agenda or big ticket coins.

I like their book North American Coins and Prices. Hope the 2020 one comes out soon.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  20. coin dog

coin dog Well-Known Member

I quit my NN subscription a few years ago. I was disappointed that I rarely received a paper copy. Is NN mostly electronic editions now?

21. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

I still get Coin World, mainly because of the price guide, but I still like the magazine. I remember Coin Values magazine from years ago. I wasn't subscribing when that went away. Did they just change the name to Coin World, or did Coin World buy out Coin Values just for the price guide? Coin World does have what appears to be the exact same price guide that Coin Values had when it was in print.

Draft saved Draft deleted