Numismatic book recommendations

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by josh's coins, Sep 22, 2014.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Josh, you are not the first young man to want to change the world, to make your mark, to take on the world. For numismatics, a lot of this is knowledge. You just have tons to learn. Not knowing Rick Snow demonstrates you do not know major US numismatic figures. Not knowing numismatic bibliographies shows you do not know how to research. You simply have almost everything to learn in numismatics. If you are serious about being a coin dealer and wish to finish your degree I suggest finishing school and in the meantime either work part time for a dealer or help a dealer at coin shows. You simply do not know much about coins yet. You need to study and memorize dozens of books, view tens of thousands of coins, and be involved in hundreds of deals before you will be a knowledgable dealer. Start today. Get a books by people like Overton, Breen, Bowers, Garrett, and study. I am rooting for you man, but not knowing how to find numismatic books or who Rick Snow is shows me you really are a beginner in this hobby. Slow your roll and become a knowledgable numismatist before trying to be a dealer.

Amanda Varner, JPeace$ and geekpryde like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

@josh's coins , Rick Snow is a very well known dealer, and his site is on my short list of "great sites", and I know you've lurked on that thread, since you send me PM's. ;)

Here is his site: http://www.indiancent.com/

Here is the book people are talking about: The Flying Eagle and Indian Cent Attribution Guide 3rd Ed. (Pre-Publication)

I know the book is expensive, there was a deal a month or so ago for backers. Also, you could ask you local library to acquire it. When I was 15, I worked at a Library in my hometown, and we did these special requests all the time. There is normally dedicated money for just such requests.

Try Amazon for used coin books, Used books at ~$4.00 shipped is just about the best deal going, for anything, ever. I buy 90% of my books used, and to tell you the truth, I am hard pressed to tell the difference from a New copy. Make a short list of books you want, then check Amazon for the title, then select "Used Copies".

Please stop telegraphing your naivety. We are all ignorant in our own ways, and within many subjects I'm a complete dummy, but do you need to confirm your incomprehension for the whole CT community on every..single..topic? Wouldn't it have been better to take 30 seconds on a Google search once someone suggested "Rick Snow", instead of coming right back and asking us to spoon feed you with his back-story? :rolleyes:

I am NOT trying to be insulting, I'm actually hoping you stick around and grow and learn, as I have done. Keep in mind, we are here to guide you, not baby-sit you.

4. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

Yeah I looked up books for Indian head cents and his name popped up everywhere. Granted I should have know who he was long before today.

bkozak33 likes this.
  5. josh's coins

I got a list of some books I want to get. Think I will get them on the kindle app as it seems more convenient.

bkozak33 likes this.
  6. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Not a bad way to go. Since I spend 90% of my waking moments on a PC, I prefer the paper of a book, but I totally get the draw of an electronic version. You can search, bookmark, and carry thousands of books in the space I can carry one.

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Seriously, Josh; I'm not trying to be mean here, just honest. Perhaps you should try to look at this thread (and many of your threads) through neutral eyes as maybe then you'd see how utterly ridiculous this is and most others are. For the life of me I cannot understand why you (again) thought it good idea to (again) jump the gun and make some meaningless announcement, masquerading as a question, when you seemingly know very little about your new so-called "specialties". If you were approaching this from the standpoint of an interested collector, I highly doubt anyone would question it and would likely go out of their way to be helpful (myself included), but you're not.... as with everything else, it's all about playing some hotshot dealer and therein lies the problem. If you were, as you claim, truly passionate about these coins, leaning even the basics would be much more important to you than these incessant and not so sly "dealer" reminders. Anyone can call themselves a dealer, Josh, just as anyone can offer a handful of overpriced coins and/or advertise metal for sale that they don't even own with the plan of running out any buying if they get an order; it doesn't mean squat. You need to get it through your head that you're on a board full of people with vastly more knowledge and experience with coins and in business than you do, so who do you really think you're going to impress with this nonsense? It's downright insulting to constantly act as if you can stand in line with or leapfrog over those who have invested substantial time and energy into learning or into their business, be it as a so-called "dealer", "professor", or whatever the nom du jour is.

For the umpteenth time, stop trying/pretending to be something and someone you're not, and stop leeching off the kindness of others. If someone does something for you, thank them. If you say you're going to do something, do it. If you say or imply you have something, actually have it, and if someone gifts you a sale (because that's what it really is) you should go above and beyond to make it a positive experience for them instead of playing kid games. The fact is, Josh, that you need this board more than it needs you. I'm sorry, and while I truly believe you're a decent kid at heart, if you really want to sell coins, at this point in time the best thing you could do is start an anonymous ebay account.

Enough is enough, man...

8. josh's coins

I wanted some book recommendations to learn about these series of coinage. kozak helped me narrow it down. You act as if I created this thread to make a claim that I specialize in all of these coin series. While I wish I was I'm certainly am not. I know where I stand in the numismatic field. I'm no longer pretending to be someone who I'm not. I started this thread asking for genuine help in searching for the right books that provide numismatic knowledge. All I did here was ask for help and I received plenty and I'm very grateful.

bkozak33 and longnine009 like this.
  9. josh's coins

saying I'm a lost cause wasn't very nice. I've learned a lot and I'm continuing to learn and you yourself have taught me a lot Books and I respect that. But don't say I'm a lost cause because I am not. @Vegas Vic asked how badly do I want it? I want this very badly it has been an interest of mine since I was 15. I'll continue to work at it and perhaps in a few years you will see me dealing coins at the Baltimore show. A man can dream can't he? this is my dream.

Hopefully my Cigars arrive tomorrow I could use a good smoke:cigar:

bkozak33 likes this.
  10. Volante

Volante Well-Known Member

Don't let the naysayers get you down Josh, your threads are consistently among my favorites on this forum. Keep working at it and keep us posted on your endeavors.

longnine009 likes this.
  11. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

Pick one. Right now you can either be a college student or a coin dealer. Do both at the same time and I suspect you will succeed at neither. If you do want college first please stop talking about coin dealing. You can pick one. Which one is your choice?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    longnine009 likes this.
  12. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Buy on amazon. I got quite a few coin books on there for less than $5 shipped, including the Red Books book on Indian cents.

Rare books you can find by google searching. I acquired a Peterson Bust Half book through a dealer I found on google.

There's a few sellers or rare books in this forum as well.

13. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Josh, You're going to be one of the greatest coin dealers in the world, just stay the course. You will be dominating this industry as long as you don't let others derail you. Remember, may the force be with you.

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I like the suggestions about "reading everything" and picking what's important and sticking with it (student vs. dealer). As you know, college is tough and takes up a lot of time. There's the homework, the lectures, the studying, the tests...don't forget the girls! :D I like what @Vegas Vic suggested about getting involved in the industry.

I'm serious about the girls. And having some fun - just not too much where you fail out.. You'll have the 40+ years to work.

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I think he means make money;

As in cherrypick a rare or scarce variety

16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

you just 'discovered' it?

How the heck long have you lived there?

Everyplace that I have ever lived, and that is quite a few, I 'discovered' my local library within days or a week of moving in.

If you can't 'buy the book' at least borrow it.

When I was a kid I wore out the library's Red Book.

I tried to memorize it, and loved dreaming of owning some of those coins.

17. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I like how some millennials want
    to be Entrepreneurs. Maybe it will jar
    the whole generation loose from the "Let's save the world" mentality.

Josh, I think you have more ambition than most your age. But like most your age, your just chucking seeds into the
    wild wind. You need to get some focus and practical plans. And please stop making announcements about what your
    going to do. People can hear those bull chips 24/7 from any politician.

"Poise, Excution." -Joe Namath's super bowl ring.

18. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Josh

"A man can dream can't he? this is my dream."
    "Castles in the sky" are free. The foundation is extra. :)

19. medoraman

Lol, you too? My first redbook was the 1976 bicentennial edition, hardcover, (that is all they printed then). Those covers lasted about a year, and after that I held all of the pages together with a red rubber band. To this day this forms a base of knowledge for me, memorizing mintages of every US coin series made.

20. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

How many random dates do you still remember the mintages on?

21. medoraman

Exact mintages, some like 264,000 and 484,000 which should be familiar to many US collectors. Most of what I remember are relative mintages, like SL halves in the 1880's, the 1878 S, and similar. Exact mintages are not terribly relevant in real life, but relative mintages, like how many more capped bust versus chain cents were struck in 1793 are.

Draft saved Draft deleted