Numismatic book recommendations

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by josh's coins, Sep 22, 2014.

1. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

I've decided that I would like to specialize in the numismatic field for the follow coin series.

• Buffalo nickels
    • 2.5,5,10 indian head gold
    • indian head cents

What books should I get so that I could become an expert in this area of coinage?

bkozak33 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

That kind of stuff you can only learn on the streets.

4. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Last I heard Ken Potter was selling
    Lonesome John's gold counterfeit
    book. Scott's or Amazon should
    have Bowers books on IHC and Buff
    nickels. Books won't make you an expert. You have to get your hands dirty for that.

micbraun likes this.
  5. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

You should also try to be an expert in one series before you try five series.

6. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

Whitman Press has a good series of books that cover most of the type coins. I have the Peace Dollar book and it was a pretty good starting point. It looks like they have books for the IHCs and the Buffalo nickels. The type coin book has some info on the gold. Not sure where to turn after these (not my series of coins....) beyond these, but the books were a good starting point for me.

7. josh's coins

Very true. I wasn't going to tackle them all at once. What do you think would be a good start?

bkozak33 likes this.
  8. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Whatever you like. If you plan on dealing them, maybe something you can obtain easily enough.

9. josh's coins

I suppose it comes down to Buffalo nickels or indian head cents

bkozak33 likes this.
  10. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Get a book, and start making rips.

11. longnine009

If you decide on IHC Rick Snow has references and he's probably the leading expert/dealer on them.

12. josh's coins

13. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Sales where you make bank.

Amanda Varner likes this.
  14. longnine009

What does that mean?

15. longnine009

16. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Good place to learn what books are crucial to a series is by checking major dealer rederences and bibliographies.

17. josh's coins

hmm... I think I will probably go with Indian Head Cents first. I like the series and it is more popular than the buffalo nickel I think.

So who is Rick snow and what is with these bibliographies and all that?

bkozak33 likes this.
  18. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Rick Snow is probably the most respected dealer when it comes to Indian Head and FE cents.

A bibliography is a listing of important references people use on a subject. So, if its a well respected dealer, and they list a certain book on IHC in their bibliography, then most likely that book is important. I would highly suggest a book by Rick Snow for IHCs. He is a nice man and very knowledgable.

As to IHC being more popular than buffs, I simply do not know. Both are very popular. A good book will help you get up to speed, but only that....help. I bet you Charmy knows hundreds of facts that is not in any book, that is why she is a good dealer.

geekpryde likes this.
  19. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Wow.

20. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Indian cents are where its at.imo

BigTee44 likes this.
  21. longnine009

Medoraman:
    "...I bet you Charmy knows hundreds of facts that is not in any book, that is why she is a good dealer..."

And if noticed Josh, Charmy always manages to find the coolest stuff when she's buying at shows. What book do learn that from? Books are great but you still have muck in and do it to really learn.

Draft saved Draft deleted