Numbered Coins

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by moderncoins, May 7, 2015.

1. moderncoins

moderncoins New Member

I am told that #1 and #8 Certificates of Authenticity coins and sets are valued at a premium. I can understand why the #1 is, but could someone explain why the #8 is? How much of a premium should each carry over the other low numbered coins, assuming they are all perfect 70s?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Gonna need some context. What types of coins and sets are we talking about here? If Chinese, 8 is considered lucky, which may explain some premium. If you're talking US Mint products, I'm not aware than any COAs were ever numbered.

moderncoins likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Forgive my stupidity, but #1 & #8 COA's for what?

Chris

5. moderncoins

moderncoins New Member

I am looking at a #8 Krugerrand Set and the #8 Churchill Platinum 3 oz. coin. I am told that the #8s carry a premium to other sets because they are valued in the Chinese culture.

6. moderncoins

moderncoins New Member

Can anyone provide a credible reference to where it might state that this is a valid basis for charging a premium on a coin because it's certificate of authenticity shows it was the 8th coin or set minted?

7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Typically, "Because I say so" is a valid basis for charging a premium. Doesn't mean anyone will buy it.

moderncoins likes this.
  8. moderncoins

moderncoins New Member

Thanks for your thoughts!

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

John is correct. Sellers can ask whatever amount they want. It may make them look ridiculous, but every once in a while they will find a buyer who is dumber than them.

Chris

moderncoins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted