Number of Coins and Face Value in Mint and Proof Sets

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by miedbe7, May 26, 2015.

1. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

I'll preface this post by stating I don't think I'm being lazy by asking for help ;) I have been trying since last night to get an accurate count on something and keep coming up with different totals each time it seems like. I know I could always sit down and count them one by one, but I'm hoping a fellow CoinTalker can help me out before it comes to that.

So here's the deal. I want to know the total # of coins and the total face value (FV) for selling purposes in each "set" listed below:

1) 1965-1967 SMS Sets, 1968-2015 Proof Sets, 1976 Bicentennial Proof Set and the 1999 SBA Proof. I came up with 394 coins with a FV of $127.54?

2) 1965-1967 Year Sets, 1968-1981, 1984-2015 Mint Sets, 1976 Bicentennial Uncirculated Set and the 1999 SBA P+D Set. I came up with 758 coins and a FV of $245.78?

The numbers keep changing as I remember coins that were or weren't included in certain years. My brain thanks you in advance for confirming or correcting my totals!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

The Red Book shows the face value for mint sets.

coinzip and miedbe7 like this.
  4. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

5. miedbe7

OK, I got the same number for the proof sets, but now I get 757 coins and $247.63 for my totals on the mint sets... ugh this is driving me nuts!

Thanks SQG for your help. I'll figure it out eventually.

6. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

You can checks "solds" on eBay and see the total(s) first-hand.

7. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

You may be able to call the mint and they may be able to tell you.

miedbe7 likes this.
  8. miedbe7

LOL. This is like a senior thesis. I just want to make sure my listings are correct.

9. miedbe7

I think you're talking about something else? Or maybe I have delirium at this point...

10. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I have an abacus you can borrow.

green18 and miedbe7 like this.
  11. miedbe7

HAHAHA, that was good

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Priceless........:)

miedbe7 likes this.
  13. miedbe7

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Not dumb dear fellow. The stupidest question is the one that isn't asked...........

miedbe7 likes this.
  15. miedbe7

Well I gave up on it as someone finally bid on my mint run and i'm through editing my listings ... anyone thinking modern issue mint sets are a good idea should take my advice, don't buy them from the mint! BIG HAIRCUT coming lol. Thanks for everyones help!!

Might still need that abacus though, to hit myself over the head after crunching those numbers over and over again :)

16. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

The offer is off the table, I don't want you damaging my abacus.;)

Sorry that you may take a hit on this one though. In the future, buy older sets in bulk then sell them off individually. Most of the time you can buy these well below their issue price of buying in bulk.

17. doug5353

"...anyone thinking modern issue mint sets are a good idea should take my advice..."

Sounds like something I'd say. Actually, I have said it, to newbies, a dozen times, maybe more. Hope your hit was manageable.

miedbe7 likes this.
  18. miedbe7

No problem at all. As long as I realize FV, plus the 13% and $25 in shipping I'll chalk it up to lesson learned. So really I'm looking to clear $175 for 51 proof sets, a silver Bicentennial set and an SBA Proof and then $308 on the 49 mint sets, a silver Bicentennial set and an SBA P+D Set. Call it $500 b/w the two and I won't be too embarrassed LOL!! It'd be something having to ship somebody more in FV than what I'm clearing at the end of the day. Alas, I've seen people suffer worse in life. Thanks for all the help guys.

19. doug5353

I tossed in a sensible bid to juice things up. Temporarily, I'm high.

miedbe7 likes this.
  20. miedbe7

Thank you kind sir, now if I can just get a few takers on those mint sets!! Where are @19Lyds or @cladking when you need them? All kidding aside, I think that should do it. I think I got an accurate enough # on the coins and the FV that I feel comfortable in what I stated in the listings. So since that's been accomplished, I'll say a final thank you to everyone for the help and jocular attitudes toward my apparent impending misfortunes on the sales (really should have put a reserve/higher start price on those two lots now that I'm staring at them). I don't want this to get nuked though for any kind of improper, self-promotion outside of BST. So I'll end it there. Again, thank you all!

21. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

You'll be fine, still five days to go and I'm watching a few of them. Proof set run, franklin set for the kid and the 54 proof box set.

miedbe7 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted