NP Byzantine Silver

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David@PCC, Jul 20, 2017.

1. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

These little issues always intrigued me and I could only find a little information on this series. The most I could dig up is that this coin as well as a few similar pieces were struck to commemorate the bicentennial of Constantinople. As I acquire more like these I hope to learn their meaning and find better dating for them.
    b282.jpg
    Justinian I, possibly anonymous
    530 AD
    Mint: Constantinople
    AR Scripulum or 1/3 Siliqua
    Obvs: Helmeted, draped, and cuirassed bust of Constantinopolis right.
    Revs: Large TX monogram.
    11x14mm, 0.51g
    Bendall, Anonymous Type 12

I'm also working on a new photography set up which hopefully will improve, this is the first try at it. The TX meaning escapes me, the others reverses are K, P, R, T, & CV representing their respective mints.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I've got one of these TX Constantinople commemoratives as well, but its way too ratty for me to post. But I paid only like $20 for it so I'm not really complaining. This type is not very high on my list for me to actively look for an upgrade (but one similar to yours would definitely be fine with me!).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    David@PCC likes this.
  4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A neat find

David@PCC likes this.
  5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Neat coin! Must be pretty scarce. (?) I would definitely like to hear more about these on CT when you've done some of that research.

My only small Byzantine silver:
    Justin II, 1/2 siliqua, Carthage (issued c. 567-574). FELIX/RES/PVBL in wreath. Sear 392, 1.15g.
    00129Q00.JPG

6. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

That's typical for these, mine is broken as you can see and heavily crystallized completely through. $20 is a great price.

7. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

That's a great piece! I see one come around at least once a year, so somewhat scarce. Here I talk more in detail about the denomination.

Jwt708 and Severus Alexander like this.
  8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Don't have any of these, I'll have to keep my eye peeled to try to pick one up. Right now I only have a bunch of folles and half-folles of Justinian.

Jwt708 likes this.
  9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

What an interesting little coin, Byzantine AR, crude style...weird and neat! I would have guess it to be some type of barbaric coin.

David@PCC, Jwt708 and TIF like this.
  10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Me too.

11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Yep it seems kind of crude.

12. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Most are like this and not much is known about them. This one is from CNG archives.
    Screenshot_20170720-201813.jpg

ancientcoinguru and chrsmat71 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted