Now THAT'S what I call a doubled die...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by stldanceartist, Dec 9, 2016.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Part 1

Just cherrypicked this at a LCS this afternoon. I believe it's the FS-101 DDO-001. Doubling so strong you don't really even need the closeups to see it. Gotta love it.

What do you think Larry (@atrox001) - have I got it attributed correctly?

1964 D Kennedy Half DDO-001.jpg

1964 D Kennedy Half DDO-001 - IN GOD.jpg

1964 D Kennedy Half DDO-001 - WE TRUST.jpg

Part 2

Now, unfortunately, someone polished this one. Fortunately, the tripling is strong enough to show through it. I believe this is the FS-103 TDO / D/D WRPM-006. The RPM is sooooo slight it's a beast to image...but it's there.

1964 D Kennedy Half DDO-003.jpg

1964 D Kennedy Half DDO-003 - IN GOD.jpg

1964 D Kennedy Half DDO-003 - WE TRUST.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I have a triple motto. no close up pics yet. what are they worth ?

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That's a honey alright. Good peepers on that one. :)

5. stldanceartist

Well, it kind of depends on condition. I recently sold an MS65 for a not-too-shabby amount...but both eBay and PayPal have changed their software so much I can't even search for it or sort by amount. Don't even have the option to go back to the Classic view either. Progress...I suppose.

6. stldanceartist

Well, DD's like this are pretty easy to spot...the difficult part is putting...the...coin...down...slowly...and...nonchalantly...

Jdiablo30, SuperDave and rickmp like this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

in great condition

8. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Nice Picks!! I love hunting those 1964 Kennedy's. The FS-103 TDO seems to be a lot easier to find for me than the FS-105 QDO.

9. Christie21

Christie21 Active Member

That's great but do you really need to come on here and brag about how you took advantage of someone else? I think you're pathethic.

10. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

He didn't take advantage of anyone!! It came from a coin shop. It's their job to know what they have when they put it out for sale. If they don't care what it is and sell it at bullion value, then that's their choice.

Legomaster1 and rlm's cents like this.
  11. stldanceartist

The coin shops I frequent are well aware that I am looking for varieties, toners, and higher grade coins in their "junk silver" bucket. I also pulled three circulated Type B Reverse Washington Quarters from their quarter bucket, and told them so as I did it. I also looked through a bucket of Mercury Dimes for them - if I had found a 1916 D, I'd have told them. That's the deal. I find key dates for them (and others) all the time and inform them.

My most recent find was an 1877 IHC from a bag of low grade Indian Head cents, which I immediately told the owner about (and the owner had me consign to eBay.) Anyone here who has consigned coins with me knows that I will inform them of any worthwhile varieties I find in their coins, and will use that information to try to get them more money when I sell them. THAT, my friend, is why I get to look through the buckets in the first place.

I have taken the time to educate myself on major and minor varieties on a number of different series of US coins. If a coin shop does not care about varieties, and knows I am looking for them, no one was taken advantage of. They bought the coins from someone for less than melt and sold them to me for a profit. And now they know that the remaining coins in those buckets are JUST 90%. If anything, I helped them by making a purchase and by sorting through 5 buckets of silver coins.

By taking pictures of the coins I find and sharing them on a free online forum, I am helping to educate other collectors while increasing interest in the hobby. Maybe someone else who wasn't interested in die varieties will see these two and will start reading the Cherrypickers Guide like I have.

EDIT: One final thought: no one is bragging. I am sharing (in an informative way) and being excited for saving a small handful of varieties from the refiner's bucket. That is happiness; that is joy. Bragging is something completely different.

Now, whether I'm pathetic or not, that's an entirely different discussion. On certain criteria (like my non-existent dating life...because I always seem to be playing with coins instead) I think I'm absolutely pathetic. Ha! But when it comes to cherrypicking, not at all. (Just thought I'd add a moment of brevity and self-deprecation so no one starts arguing.)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  12. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

Make sure you buy at least a half roll of coins too. Otherwise buying just one "junker" could be suspicious. Time to see how good everyones poker face can be.

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Most dealers don't have the time or even care about this kind of stuff. The coin will now find a good home.

MKent and Coinchemistry 2012 like this.
  14. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

Its called cherrypicking,kind of pathetic that you have to come here and belittle someone for their find. Its part of the hobby,trying to find that variety or the one coin the dealer doesn't know about. Part of the game homie.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    MKent likes this.
  15. stldanceartist

And they have...and I will name them George:

16. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Troll much?

Legomaster1 and Huntress like this.
  17. stldanceartist

No sense in getting into an argument about it. Some people will have their points of view, some with have opposing ones...I've stated the truth, my conscience is clear and my karma is fine. She's stated her opinion and maybe someday she'll come around. I appreciate those here who "have my back."

I'm not offended...been called worse. This week, in fact. Got called a lovely word normally associated with people of a different complexion two days ago because I declined a trade of a used vape device for a MacBook Pro.

Takes all types, I suppose. But I'd rather move on and get back to the coins. :)

18. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Nice pick Benjamin two thumbs up

19. stldanceartist

You always find them in the "afterthought" or "Columbo" pile.

Oh, yeah, almost forgot, do you want to look in the Kennedy Half bucket?

Yes. Yes I do.

20. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

I'm not Larry but you do have a 1964-D DDO-001 (FS-101), nice find.

21. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

Kind of a harsh statement.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted