Now, later, never????

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Barry Murphy, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

The greatest thing about this forum is the wealth of knowledge and experience that our more senior members are willing to share.
    If anyone had any concerns about a coin I posted I would hope they would voice them in a PM unless 100% condfident ie: links to a match in fake reports etc.
    In that case fly at it and post it right in the thread!
    If any of my coins turned out to be forgeries I would happily share my experience as a learning tool for others here.

Fwiw I have one coin in my collection I am not too sure about..

ominus1 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..most of us would want to know, but right @TIF & @Barry Murphy ..be nice
    ..these are the magic words to go by i'd reckon

4. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

5. RichardT

RichardT Well-Known Member

I believe that the coin in this case has been tooled. Tooling is normally quite visible even from a photo. Not so much of an authenticity issue (although I may be wrong).

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

To me the interesting part here is the difference in attitude between coins and the 'greater' art of the type that make the museums. Paintings and sculptures are expected to be repaired, touched up, rebacked, assembled from tiny pieces and completed when a section is missing. All such things 'ruin' coins. At what point does a painting stop being a work of its original painter and become a new work? If the surface is over 50% repair, is it original? When it is discovered that a statue was assembled from parts not originally together do they take the head off or just note it in the catalog?

I saw a great travelling show of the works of Rodin (The Thinker) that emphasized the operation of a studio 'machine' with many employees turning out 'originals' in various sizes and materials. Where we draw the lines on what is acceptable/normal and what is cheating is a matter of opinion. The problem only comes when one person is led to believe that something is other than it really is by someone who knows the dirty secrets.

7. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

I would agree with you ………………………… but then both of us would be wrong :)

Draft saved Draft deleted