Now here's a nice coin.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mojavedave, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I wish the mint would produced all US coins with this quality.

Attached Files:

micbraun, coinzip, tulipone and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to pick one up from Denver Mint in May. Think they look great.

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Not trying to steal the thread but have the Texas Rangers ever been honored?

5. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

They would if they stopped losing in the world series ... ;)

micbraun, TopcatCoin, green18 and 2 others like this.
  6. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I thought I was going to like it but I don't. The Marshall looks like something you'd see on Scooby-doo and the $1 on it looks goofy. The star side is ok.

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yeah, to me too. Why is his left hand occupied if his holster is strapped for a left hand reach? It looks like the holster is backwards if he as going to reach for it. I find the design uninspired and poorly constructed, kind of par for the course for most US modern coins. I do find the Parks quarters to be better than average though, or maybe my expectations have just been beaten into the ground.

Btw, why the heck are we celebrating a 225th anniversary? Isn't there anything that happened 50 years ago, 100 years ago, 200 years ago? A 225th anniversary seems an odd thing for a commemorative coin.

stoster38 likes this.
  8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

To each his own....not going to split hairs over likes and dislikes. However our US mint could do a lot better Across The board. It seems that and not to get political but congress and the powers being just rubber stamp things out.
    Prime example Canada and other countries for years now been using dollar and two dollar coins. Yet here the Federal Reserve in Baltimore has God only knows bags of coins paid for with tax dollars sitting.
    Now don't miss understand I'm not saying we need to trash the dollar note. But why produce an item that no one is using?
    If a company ran its business like this stock holders would be up in arms. The company would fold.
    What really frost my cookies is that the new designs as well as technology could stop the waste. And put out a product that people would use and love.
    I look at the coinage that other countries puts out.
    Canada for example you can see the quality and yes the RPM does put out items that I question but at least for the most part it looks good.

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Time to get a cookie warmer. It's been a long cold winter.

10. stoster38

stoster38 Member

It's all politics. Interests groups have prevented removal of dead Presidents from our coins. Imagine all the uproar if someone proposed the removal of Washington, Lincoln, and/or Jefferson from our coins. As for the $1 bill the "paper" manufacturer has a very keen interest in keeping the dollar going so makes plenty of donations, to politicians, to keep the dollar note circulating. As for the design themselves, in general, the artists are submitting with one hand tied behind their backs. The Act for each coin has specific items that the coin needs to have on it. The main subject material is subject to review by advisory councils, which in my opinion, don't know what a good design would be if it hit them in the face!!! :)

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I live very near Crane Paper in Dalton, Ma. which makes our currency paper and has a lot of sway on Beacon Hill. I know of what you speak.

stoster38 likes this.
  12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Yeah my father worked for the Federal Reserve Bank for 47 years! So I know first hand how things work. :)

tommyc03 likes this.
  13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Quasquibicentennial........

-jeffB likes this.

14. Gesundheit

-jeffB, micbraun and green18 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted