Notes fron Philla. ANA show

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by BRandM, Aug 13, 2012.

1. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

img002.jpg img001.jpg

I haven't added to much to my NJ obsolete collection lately, but I saw these nice pieces in Philadelphia and decided to buy them.

The Mill Hill 12 1/2 Cent note was issued by John Whittaker, a prominent merchant on Mill Hill in South Trenton, NJ. His store sold a whole variety of things including coal, lumber, hardware, and jewelry (odd mix isn't it?). He was known as the "Prince of Mill Hill" and was not only a prominent business man but was also very involved in his community. He owned large tracts of land in Trenton and the surrounding county (Mercer) and donated parcels of it for the construction of various public buildings. He was born in 1797 and died in 1860. He drowned at Long Branch, NJ while trying to save two brothers from the rough waters of the Atlantic Ocean. This note is listed in Wait as W-1171 and is an R-7.

I actually bought four notes of the Farmer's and Merchant's Bank, this 5 Cent example and a 10, 25, and 50 Cent note. Though not signed, they're all numbered. The bank was incorporated in 1830 and changed its name to the Farmer's and Merchant's National Bank of Matawan in 1903. Though the bank is listed in Wait, these fractional denominations aren't. Thanks for looking.

Bruce

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

Very impressive... and a wonderful piece of history.

4. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Brand, you should consider buying my Proof Vignette for this bank. It's quite nice.

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I love the vignette of the steam powered paddle wheel riverboat.

6. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Here it is. Enjoy!

" The MIll " ABN#118 This Die Proof Vignette is " Very Choice" and die sunk on India Paper on an original wide margin card and has the ABN NO# 118 on the lower right. This vignette was used on the Farmers And Millers Bank, Milwaukeee, Wisc. ( WI-460 ). A Rare imprint from the Roger H. Durand Collection. Krause Sale September 2009.

Attached Files:

7. BRandM

I love the vignettes on the old U.S. notes Steve. Even the privately issued obsoletes are little works of art. That's what attracts me to them, the beauty and the history surrounding them. Some of these are pretty obscure and it's hard to find out anything on them, but I found some interesting information on the Mill Hill note. most of my notes I buy from Alan Teal who has a huge selection of not only NJ pieces but of other states as well. He's always at the bigger shows so I make it a point to stop and see him. Denly's also has some nice material too.

Bruce

8. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Bruce, glad to hear that you made out at the Philly show and was able to add to your collection. :) I'm saving money for my cruise in a month or so, so money normally spent on notes has been funnelling into that pile instead.

9. BRandM

Geez Doctor, you have to get your priorities straight! :D

Bruce

10. Dr Kegg

I took your advice and got sucked into the Heritage auction closing last night. So now I have two new Confederate notes coming my way. Way to make me switch priorities! haha.

11. BRandM

Success...how sweet it is!

Bruce

12. Dr Kegg

And now once again I am sucked right back in!

Draft saved Draft deleted