Note found in a book

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by expat, Nov 20, 2021.

1. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

For the second time I have found a note used as a bookmark. This time it is an Italian 1000 Lire, it is small and I have never seen one before. I don't collect paper currency per se, so just sharing with you all.
    20211120_165652 (2).jpg 20211120_170121 (2).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Cool find.

Inspector43 and expat like this.
  4. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Fun! That is Pick 114, issued in 1990. Maria Montessori on the front, the teacher that came up with the Montessori philosophy of teaching.

5. expat

Thanks, I have made a note of that for ref

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

For those that don’t know, the Montessori method encourages young children to develop natural interests and activities, rather than normal, mainstream teaching. They frown on the use of grades and testing. Autodidactism. Look to Wikipedia for a very informative read.

BTW, the 1000 Lire note is currently exchanging for $0.58 USD.

Dave M and expat like this.
  7. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@expat …I too have found abnormal bookmarks in books. A few have been currency. The best currency was a $20 bill, about 40 years ago.

My brother and I were corresponding about 4 years ago about British spies, so he located and sent me a book he found via eBay detailing the saga of Kim Philby. Around the middle of the book had pictures, and as I was reading and referring to the pictures, just past the picture section a few pages a bookmark dropped into my lap. It was a clipped out newspaper article about Philby, MacClean and Burgess from 1968 or so, just after Philby took it on the lam for Mother Russia.

Both my brother and I were astounded at the discovery…a monumental coincidence. He said he bought the book from a bookstore in LA and he never saw or touched it, living near San Francisco, had it sent direct to me in Washington State.

NOS, daniel a DiBiasio and expat like this.
  8. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I admit to using $2 bookmarks.

George McClellan and expat like this.
  9. expat

Neat and interesting co-incidence. Next door to our real estste office we also have a gift shop that sells only items that are hand made from around the world. Downstairs we have a secondhand bookshop and you would be amazed at the items we find as bookmarks. I am amassing a nice quantity of old postcards, lol

daniel a DiBiasio likes this.
  10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I found a note in an old book once. It was an I.O.U. for $100 from a man named Seamus.

11. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

I once found a ticket to the Palace of Minos at Knossos, Crete, in a LIBRARY book. Since my mother's family was from Crete, it had a special meaning for me. Unfortunately I don't know where it is now, probably stashed away somewhere.

12. expat

Here are examples from some German donations to the bookshop over the years.
    1 photo of a long ago ice skating tournament, and 2 postcards, 1955 and 1960
    20211120_220238 (2).jpg 20211120_220255 (2).jpg 20211120_220332 (2).jpg 20211120_220357 (2).jpg 20211120_220412 (2).jpg

13. BasSWarwick

BasSWarwick Well-Known Member

Just had a look at my Italian notes and found I have eleven of the same 1000 Lire Mille

expat likes this.
  14. YankeeDime

YankeeDime non-conformant

My wife found a Russian (maybe?..) 100 note from the 1950s in an old book she picked up in a thrift store a few years ago. I still have it, somewhere...

daniel a DiBiasio and expat like this.
  15. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I brought two of those same bills back with me from Italy way back in 1998 before the Euro dethroned the Lire (one pictured below). Ours have different signatures. I paid 60,000 Lire each for an Italy and a Vatican coin set for that year (actually for the prior year, because then Italy ran a year behind, so they only had 1997 sets). I remember handing the coin shop owner (who spoke no English whatsoever) a 100,000 Lire note, which I think pictured Caravaggio, and it felt a little bit powerful to spend 100,000 of any denomination. Of course a Coke cost 5,000 Lire. But I enjoy illusions of power!!! They're all the power I have! :D

Italy_1000Lire_01.png Italy_1000Lire_02.png

16. Notaphylic_C

Notaphylic_C Well-Known Member

Italy_P114a_1000L.jpg I've got this P-114a note too & its one of my favourites since it features Maria Montessori (students on the back). It has the first signature combos (Ciampi & Speziali) as compared to the OP which is P-114c with the Fazio & Amici signatures.

expat likes this.
  17. YankeeDime

YankeeDime non-conformant

I found it, lol. But after doing a quick Lens search it turns out it's Bulgarian and not Russian.

IMG_20211124_191708604~2.jpg IMG_20211124_191719411~2.jpg

expat, BasSWarwick, NOS and 1 other person like this.
  18. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I have found some also. One friend found a large bill [$1000.00] in the spine cover of the book. Always look in any bible.

19. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I have found some also. One friend found a large bill [$1000.00] in the spine cover of the book. Always look in any bible.

expat likes this.
  20. BasSWarwick

The most interesting find I had in a secondhand book was around 20 dried marijuana leaves

JPD3 and expat like this.
  21. BasSWarwick

I like that serial number 006677

expat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted