Not your usual IOVI CONSERV... coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orange Julius, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

This coin recently popped up and among all of the usual IOVI CONSERV(variations), this one was a little different. It includes two extra standards in the background. I had not noticed this variation before.

Looking it up, it's rated common but after some hunting for other examples... I found that it's at least scarce. I was able to find a handful of examples of officina P and T but no pictured examples anywhere of officina S like my coin.

Anyway, anyone out there have one of these? Or know the significance of the extra standards? ...or as always post your IOVI CONSERV(whatever) coins!

DiocletainTicinumRICV-2-228.JPG
    Diocletian. AE Antoninianus. 290-292 AD. Ticinum.
    IMP C VAL DIOCLETIANVS AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust right
    IOVI CONSERVAT, Jupiter standing left, head right,
    holding thunderbolt and sceptre, eagle at foot left,
    two standards in background.
    Mintmark SXXIT.
    RIC V-2 228. Common (...or maybe not)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I have three Licinius I that I am working on. I will show two of them but they still need some detail work and final descriptions. The third one needs more work before I start photos. These, like all of mine, started out as unrecognizable.
    6 LICINIUS I SMNGamma Obv.jpg 6 LICINIUS I SMNGamma Rev.jpg 36 Licinius I SMHA Obv.jpg 36 Licinius I SMHA Rev.jpg

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice, @Orange Julius . Cool extra standards.

Sorry, I have no clue. I went to just go look at mine just to see.

I think mine have 3 extra standards, but they are just invisible... :)

upload_2020-9-4_19-0-31.png
    RI Vespasian 69-79 CE AR Denarius Jupiter Sacrificing IOVI CONSERVAT

upload_2020-9-4_19-1-50.png
    RI Diocletian Ӕ Quinarius 1.46g 16mm Rome AD 284-305 IOVI CONSERVAT AVGG, Jupiter stndng thunderbolt sceptre RIC 193 R

5. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

nice variation on the theme.

here's another Diocletian from Ticinum with Jupiter and his mini-me

Ticinum220v.jpg

Diocletian
    A.D. 285
    21x23mm 2.9gm
    IMP C C VAL DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG; radiate and cuirassed bust left.
    IOVI CONSERVAT; Jupiter stg. l., holding thunderbolt and sceptre; before him, small figure of emperor.
    In ex. QXXIT
    RIC V Ticinum 220 var.

6. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

That quinarius is sooo cool! I've seen you post it before and love it every time. Those don't come up often!
    Great coin Victor! Other than the obviously cool Mini-Dio, Diocletian's cuirass is really great as well. Mini-Dio looks to be gesturing "Hey Jup buddy... thunderbolt THERE!"

As for my coin... there is a very similar coin RIC 226 that is identical but for the slightly longer obverse legend IMP C C VAL DIOCLETIANVS AVG (vs IMP C VAL DIOCLETIANVS AVG for 228). I was able to find one example on acsearch of RIC 226 with my SXXIT mint mark. Not a reverse die match though.
    [​IMG]

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you very much. I like that denomination, and I seem to look for them. It is different than the everyday denarius, so I am attracted to them.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted