Not the only one

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tat2, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

PCGS would not give a grade of MS68 to a circulated coin.

HAB Peace 28 2.0 and Cheech9712 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

It can't be MS68 and circulated.
    It can be a MS68 meant for circulation.

coinsareus10 and Stevearino like this.
  4. robec

robec Junior Member

Here is the coin in question.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Actually in the video he never refers to it as circulated or as a circulation issue or circulation strike.

6. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Why would they grade copper with a +? Isn't the RD, RB, BN, designations enough to qualify for in-grade hierarchy? I have a couple Lincoln cents that have + designations. Is a + designation solely eye appeal and luster?

Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. yartiques

yartiques Active Member

Blue Ridge Silver Hound is not a clown and he is a member of Coin Talk.

8. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Keep in mind that coins do not contain little GPS's that keep track of whether they're circulating, sitting in a bank, or in your coin collection. All there is, is someone looking carefully at the coin to determine its condition. If you took a coin straight from the mint and put it on a velvet platter, carried that to a coffee shop and bought coffee with it, and the cashier took your coin from its velvet platter and put it in his collection, it may meet your definition of "circulated", but still me in Mint *State* (i.e. the state still visually appears to be mint) condition.

9. AnonymousCoinCollector

AnonymousCoinCollector Reintroduce silver coins to circulation!

When will you be posting the photo of your Lincoln cent that is better than the MS68+?

mynamespat likes this.
  10. MisterWD

MisterWD Active Member

I think it is unfortunate to consider PCGS (or NGC etc) as the last word on the condition of a coin. I have seen a lot of really extreme inconsistencies in their grading. I once submitted a beautiful Morgan to PCGS for grading. I expected a minimum of MS64 and possibly as much as MS67. They sent it back in a slab that said "Ungradable: Scratch on cheek." I needed a 16X loupe to find a super fine scratch on the cheek. They claim not to use magnification in grading. Not only that, a week later I found the same coin in comparable condition that PCGS graded as MS66 and it had a big ugly gouge across the ear. I was so stunned I even verified it to be sure. Buy the coin, not the slab.

11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Yeah, and because simply being a member of CoinTalk magically means one is beyond reproach, right? Silly me...

If you like the guy and/or his videos, that's great, but I based what I said solely on what I have seen of his output.

To be fair I just watched a couple more of his videos, chosen randomly and to see if, perhaps, I had misjudged. Well, let's just say my modest efforts only confirmed the clown status. Little cheeseball things like how "no one knows" why an 83 cent sold for well over $2k but of course he does (my hero!). Or how pre-Zincolns were "100% copper or whatever". Or better yet how one should be sure the "coin you're submitting is a flawless example to you" and as long as it is "you should have no problems" receiving a very lofty and valuable grade, strongly suggesting that this is all one needs to do to turn a lowly cent into a quick few grand windfall, no grading knowledge or experience necessary. Oh, and if anyone wants to be sure they're sending the right type of material, who knew all one has to do is simply compare their coin to those already in registry sets? Winning, and again, all with no grading experience necessary!

Even though there is certainly worse videos out there, anyone willing to mislead the new into believing top pops a cakewalk for the uninitiated is indeed a clown imo, but hey... as long as he gets his clicks and subscribers, who cares, right?

I have no problem with someone making videos pointing out different potentially profitable opportunities in this hobby, but I sure as hell do when no effort is made to clarify the absolute fact that it's much, much easier to lose than it is to win. Unfortunately, saying as much isn't likely to draw in the subscribers/viewers and almost certainly explains why a guy well aware of this fact just happens to conveniently avoid it.

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@BooksB4Coins I have no idea who or what this CT'er is all about but at least YOU did some homework on it and that's more than I can say for a lot of people. Thank you.

13. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Didnt even finish your first sentence(reading) stop right there. In know way do us members do harm. Join in and enjoy the fun. We're human and enjoy life. Please give us time and see we truly are coin collectors from all walks of life. Smile and see joking as joking. And you'll see were on your side. Give us time. You need to be paitient

tommyc03 likes this.
  14. Cheech9712

I felt that way too at first. Honest. I blew up At first but then wised up. Got to prove you really dont know everything

15. Cheech9712

Counterfeit rings a bell

16. Cheech9712

You need to thank books for taking then time to reasure you that your getting the wrong info. You tube is like or pres. 1 half truth. Come on. Take your coins to your local coin shop. When they tell you the same thing. Then bang your head. Cuz it sucks when your lied to a0nd dont see it

17. Cheech9712

Thank you for thanking books

18. Cheech9712

Yeah. I want all those (PENNY) guys to answer that one. A GREAT QUESTION

19. Cheech9712

So am i. I think most members put up with me cuz i try and dont know alot. But i LOVE coins. I use to throw away the funny looking coins and keep shinny. Now my grandbabies (thanks to coin talk) own coins of interest. True story

GenX Enthusiast likes this.
  20. Tat2

Tat2 Member

Screenshot_20180320-193442.jpg so is this a fake? The whole point of my interest with this specific coin is this- circulated or not it was graded ms68 and there is a lot of visible damage. I think ul agree when I say too much damage to not be circulated. I'm sure we've all seen coins in circulation in better shape. Or maybe I'm wrong. Which is why I'm here. To learn.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    GenX Enthusiast likes this.
  21. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'm pretty sure no one was suggesting this coin was a fake. It was the back story about being found in circulation in pristine (MS68) condition that was subject to some consternation. It is real, it has been graded, no doubt about that. But found in pocket change or from a tellers drawer, likely not. Very nice coins can be found in circulation, but they are just that, circulated, no matter what grade they end up getting.

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted