Not the only one

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tat2, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Tat2

Tat2 Member

I appreciate all the commets. I may be taking some out of context but if not let me say don't think new means slow and stupid lol.. since i received a few replies where people said it had to be a ms and not a circulated coin, I'm going to reply to all at once. the thing that made the 1979 cent special and sell for 3800 was the fact that it was a circulated coin that was graded 68+. From what I've learned, the guy who posted that said that was the only thing that made the coin special and it was the first time a circulated coin was graded that high. I'm going to post a pic of the one that sold for that and mine. If I'm wrong please tell me because I think it is in better condition.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Impossible. Can you share the webpage?
    No circulated Cent can grade that high.

Stevearino likes this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Circulated coins do not have MS grading. MS is Mint State meaning uncirculated. Please post what you have. Please do not respond negatively to good natured kidding. We all here would love for you to have a valuable coin, and we won't lie to you.

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

YouTube again?

Please understand that "circulated" does not describe a coin's history but its condition. While I wouldn't expect to go around finding accepted 68s in circulation, it's perfectly common to find coins that will technically grade into the "uncirculated" (MS) range in circulation.

And no, new certainty does not mean stupid. There's a lot of things/terms in this hobby that do not make a lot of sense to someone outside of it, so please understand it's perfectly normal to be confused. It has happened to each and every one of us, and anyone who says otherwise is lying. :)

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@Tat2 I "might" be able to believe that a coin from an original bank wrapped roll or a Mint set that was VERY carefully placed into a roll "might" survive in that condition but all things being equal, which they are usually not, having survived in that condition after being cracked open from a roll, jostled around in a change drawer or someone's pocket would not likely survive to stay in that condition. So please do not take my comments out of context, but this story you read seems highly unlikely and I would like to see a link to it also. There is way too much self hype going on in way too many venues, either online or in newspapers.

7. BooksB4Coins

Nothing like a little deja vu all over again, huh? ;)

MisterWD and tommyc03 like this.
  8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I feel like a Mina Bird. lol

9. Tat2

Tat2 Member

I meant that all in good fun as well. It didn't get an ms grade- just 68+

Kentucky likes this.
  10. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I would love to see your photo.

11. Tat2

Tat2 Member

Lol..yes I saw it on you tube..that' hilarious u knew that. Blue ridge silver hound? Said it was a circlated 1979 graded by pcgs at 68+ and sold at heritage auction for 32 or 3800 .

12. Tat2

Tat2 Member

Type 1979 penny on you tube and it's a video from blue rdge silver hound

13. Richard gladfelter

Richard gladfelter Well-Known Member

Don't believe anything you hear on YouTube about coins. That's all I have to say to ANYONE that wants advice on the subject.Listen to the good folks on here,they sent me down the right path.

tommyc03 likes this.
  14. BooksB4Coins

The unfortunate fact is that on nearly a daily basis we now see folks coming here from YouTube, and almost without exception they've been mislead in one way or another. Although there are a handful of folks here slyly trying to skirt the rule of no self-promotion, the vast majority of us have no incentive to be here other than to learn or share, and have no reason to make things up - this is key. With YouTube, the vast majority of channels seem to exist not to educate, but in order to either promote someone's business and/or to financially benefit the owner. This is why they just love to appeal to the very human desire to get something for nothing and explains why you'll see all these fantastical (and usually ridiculous) claims designed to get you to watch, subscribe, upvote, share or whatever.

As for this Blue Ridge Silverhound clown, I have only very limited knowledge of and/or experience with him, but from what I have seen you would be very wise to avoid him if the goal is to learn. Not too long ago someone posted a link to one of his videos, and while not all bad, one thing that sticks out is that he alluded to the "right" type of cloth to use when cleaning one's coins. Perhaps this may not mean much to someone new, but anyone with a little more experience should easily understand how ridiculously stupid it is to even suggest such a thing to those who do not know any better.

I do want to be clear that this forum is far, actually very far from perfect. There's a rather upsetting amount of misinformation spewed here as well, but the good thing is that the more caring and knowledgeable members are usually sure to counter it. This means that with patience and a little reading between the lines, one can generally be confident that they're getting decent into and are on the right track. Just be sure to put your thicker skin on before signing in. ;)

15. BooksB4Coins

Awesome, Richard; thank you!

16. Richard gladfelter

Richard gladfelter Well-Known Member

No thank you. If not for YOU suggesting I learn before everything else,I'd still be in the dark.

Stevearino likes this.
  17. BooksB4Coins

While this was certainly intended for more than just me, you're very welcome, especially considering how some are under the impression that many of us care little about those new to the hobby. You're a fine example of how this is a two-way street, and how one willing to make the effort to learn and engage can greatly benefit from their participation here. :)

18. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

A grade of 68+ is MS.

Stevearino and MisterWD like this.
  19. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Probably said "Circulation strike", not "circulated". Circulation or Business strikes are coins made to circulate in every-day transactions, as opposed to coins made for collectors in sets.

Stevearino likes this.
  20. BooksB4Coins

I quickly checked out what I assume to be the video in question, and while not as bad as it could have been, it was most certainly not something good for new collectors. This is mostly due to the fact that little effort was made to clarify that it's much easier to lose than to win playing the top pop moderns game. To be honest, if I was new I would probably have walked away assuming that I too could drop $18-$35 into a submission (which was addressed) and walk away $2k in my pocket.

That said, I didn't see anything claiming the (highly questionable PCGS68) was found in circulation, but could have missed it. The video simply isn't worth watching again to be sure though.

Stevearino likes this.
  21. Tat2

Tat2 Member

Ahh..I see. I didn't know that due to the fact that I have seen and/or heard them used separately. Such as this coin was given a grade of ms 68 as well as this coin was given a grade of 68. So let me ask u this- how could pcgs give a coin that was in circulation a grade of 68+? I truly want to know ur thoughts on that.

Draft saved Draft deleted